AMD or Intel?

mixmantj

Beta member
Hey there,
I am a first time computer builder but I have a lot of experience on computer parts themselves. I am going to build a gaming pc. But I do need a little bit of help trying to choose between two builds I've "put together" online. My budget is $900.

The AMD build:
EVGA SuperClocked+ GTX 660 Ti 3GB
AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo) Quad-Core

The Intel build:
MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Quad-Core

Both builds have 16GB 1600 memory, very similar motherboards, 500 watt PSU, and a toshiba 1TB HDD, and are about the same price. I just need a little bit of advice on which system to buy. There are some websites that say the GTX 570 is worse than the GTX 660 Ti, but some say it's a lot better. If it is worse, then is it worth downgrading the GPU for a better Intel processor? or will the AMD processor work the same, if not better than the Intel?
If you have any other suggestions or things I should change on either builds, please let me that as well.
Thanks a lot for your help

With your budget, Intel. The 3570k walks all over any AMD CPU on the market hands down. Also, the 660ti is much better than the 570 and even bests the 580 in areas.
With either setup you will need more than a 500w PSU. Since the rig is for gaming, you don't need 16GB of RAM either. 8GB is plenty.

Okay thanks for the info. I put in:
EVGA Superclocked GTX 660 TI 2GB
Intel i5 3570K
8GB ram
750 watt PSU

Back
Top Bottom