AMD hexa core vs Intel i7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobe99

Baseband Member
Im looking to buy a processor and i need to know more information about these two processors.
Which is better for gaming? Which is the best bang for the buck? and Which is over all better?

never heard them called a hexa core before... and an i7 is better but a lot more expensive. if you can afford it go with an intel i7. the AMD 6 core isnt nearly as fast but it is faster than other AMD quad core processors.

Also, go to youtube and watch reviews about each processor, look at benchmarks of each processor and read reviews on google about each processor... knowledge is power, and when you are building a computer you need all the knowledge you can get so you can have the best bang for your buck. do your homework and you will be happy!

Like Sean said, Intel is better but AMD's new hexacores are your best bang for your buck. There's always OC'ing if you're into that. Honestly, Intel's new 980x is ridiculously priced. Your best bet is either AMD's new hexacore, or Intel i7 920.

Rivethead, hit the rivet right on the head ( see what i did thar? ) like i said AMDs are much much cheaper, but not as fast, intels have hyper threading, which i think means that each core acts as 2 cores, so the intel 6 core thinks it has 12 cores... ( dont hesitate to correct me if im wrong ).

id go with a i7 920 if i could, its decentally priced and is a beast no doubt, and its better at overclocking than the i7 930.

Rivethead, hit the rivet right on the head ( see what i did thar? ) like i said AMDs are much much cheaper, but not as fast, intels have hyper threading, which i think means that each core acts as 2 cores, so the intel 6 core thinks it has 12 cores... ( dont hesitate to correct me if im wrong ).
HyperThreading doesn't exactly work that way.

Each instruction pipeline can only execute one instruction at a time. You can't really jam two threads into it.
What HyperThreading does is allow two threads to be ready at the same time so that if one thread stalls (which can happen if it has a cache-miss), it can quickly jump to the other thread in the meantime.
It provides some performance increase with multiple threads, but not the kind of performance increase of actually having more instruction pipelines.

The new 6 core AMD is a good cpu for the money. I'd say your budget should be the determining factor. Unless you don't mind spending $1500-$2000 for a i7 920 system with "good" parts, that you build yourself, you should go for the AMD or an i5 750 system.

Can you build a i7 920 system for less than $1500-$2000? Yes, you can. But at the end of the day all you'll have is a PC filled with Cheap, Low Quality Parts. The Majority of people that have problems with their i7 PC also have them filled with Cheap, Low Quality Parts.

Start a thread stating your budget, what you plan to use the computer for and what components you already have that might be re-used. We have plently of members that Luv parts shopping :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom