Amd Gaming build with a twist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oogee

Baseband Member
I recently ordered these parts with the intention of having a beastly gaming computer come June(ish). The latest revision of this mobo nativly supports the am3+ bulldozer. I have been with intel int he past and id like a taste of what amd has to offer around the corner. Im pretty sure il be fine with this cpu/gpu combo at 1080p but for the intended Crossfire 6970 in the future il be dropping in the bulldozer.

Anyone else do something similar? Lastly im wondering if this Psu will handle 6970Crossfire and the new cpu, i guess well see the power consumption when it comes out.

G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core Processor AM3 3.4GHZ 8MB Cache

Powercolor Radeon HD 6970 880MHZ 2GB 5.5GHZ GDDR5

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 32MB

Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case Black

XFX 850W PRO850W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 70A

Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5

LG GH22NS50 Black 22X SATA DVD Writer OEM

i think 850W is mor than enough for what you have so far... i highly doubt you will even be ABLE to hit max load for crossfired 6970's xD

I cant remember who said it but XFX buys their Psu's from one of the major brands.

I recently ordered these parts with the intention of having a beastly gaming computer come June(ish). The latest revision of this mobo nativly supports the am3+ bulldozer. I have been with intel int he past and id like a taste of what amd has to offer around the corner. Im pretty sure il be fine with this cpu/gpu combo at 1080p but for the intended Crossfire 6970 in the future il be dropping in the bulldozer.

Anyone else do something similar? Lastly im wondering if this Psu will handle 6970Crossfire and the new cpu, i guess well see the power consumption when it comes out.

G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core Processor AM3 3.4GHZ 8MB Cache

Powercolor Radeon HD 6970 880MHZ 2GB 5.5GHZ GDDR5

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 32MB

Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case Black

XFX 850W PRO850W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 70A

Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5

LG GH22NS50 Black 22X SATA DVD Writer OEM

Unless something changed in the last month or two AM3 boards will never support Bulldozer. You can however use a AM3 cpu in one of the new AM3+ boards intended for Bulldozer.

Unless something changed in the last month or two AM3 boards will never support Bulldozer. You can however use a AM3 cpu in one of the new AM3+ boards intended for Bulldozer.

A few things have changed recently, Asus boards now support Am3+ (bulldozer) with a bio update. To compete the new revised 890 linup from Gigabyte now has a am3+ socket (black in color) to support the upcomming processor.

some of the MSI boards (the 890fxa-g65 specifically) also supports bulldozer. they snuck in an extra pin for bulldozer.

the psu will be fine for crossfired 6970's, it's 80% efficiency stood up under tests, they used good quality components in it, so I wouldn't worry about it, but if you haven't bought it yet then I'd go with one of slay's suggestions. While the XFX is a fine psu the corsair is just better.

xfx 850 - Seasonic OEM, fabulous unit.
looking at your parts list, you won't be able to pull more than 450 watt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom