AMD Gaming Build Budget/Performance

sirkelly55

Solid State Member
Hey guys,
just looking for any feedback on this all AMD build i am planning as a budget/performance gaming rig that will be readily upgradeable in the near future.

Here are the specs:
-Asus Sabertooth 990FX Socket AM3
-AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz 8MB
-Sapphire Radeon HD7850 2GB GDDR5
-Cooler Master 625W eXtreme Power2
-Corsair 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 Vengeance
-Corsair Carbide 300R Black Mid-Tower
Plus cooling a few HDD's, and Windows 7.
Should cost just a bit over $1k NZD

So all I'm looking for really is confirmation on how these will all work with each other and how you think it will perform.
Thanks!

If you are wanting a gaming build then you can do better than that. Gaming is all about the GPU, not the CPU. You can get an i3 3220 CPU and an H77 motherboard, drop the RAM down to 8GB (you don't need 16 for gaming) to afford a better GPU which would give you better performance and the ability to update to a 3570k later on for cheap.

I would also not buy that PSU.

As it stands, you will probably have difficulty with the setup you currently have selected as 4 DIMMs gives the IMC on the Phenom 2 CPUs a bit of problem without extra voltage.

Thanks, power supply taken into consideration, do you have any recommendations for one that would be suitable?
Also i did mention this is going to be an AMD system, so I'm not gonna be using an Intel processor, and I'm not into hardcore-graphics games much so the GPU should satisfy my needs currently.
Thanks, K

You should take a look at my article I have stickied at the top of the forum as to the reasoning behind my response. As of right now, unless your needs are specific to a cheap APU there isn't a reason to really stick with AMD. Cycles per clock effect more than just games, or heavily graphic games at that but to each their own.

Corsair TX650.

Back
Top Bottom