AMD Gaming Build - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default AMD Gaming Build

Ok, so seeing as plan A didn't work out, here's plan B. I've spent some time, did some research and come up with the following build.

The site i'm using is MSY. They have the widest range and the best prices that I have found. (If you know of somewhere better in Australia, please, let me know!!!)

Case
Antec 300 Case

PSU
Antec EarthWatts 750Watt

CPU
AMD Phenom x6 1090T

Motherboard
ASRock 890GX-Extreme3 890G USB3 DDR3

Hard Drive
WD 3.5" 7200RPM 1TB

Video Card
Powercolour 6870 1GB

RAM
1x Patriot Signature 4GB DDR3 1333

OS - Windows 7 Home.

In Short:
PSU: 750W
CPU: 6@3.2Ghz
GPU: 6870 1GB
RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333
HDD: 1TB

Will this all work? Is the PSU sufficient? I'm planning to crossfire eventually. Will it still cope when I throw in an extra video card.

I'm also planning to add RAM as I save more money. I figure going 1 4GB gives me a good starting point. Then I can just add more 4GB 1333 DDR3 as I get more money... Up to 16GB (which is this motherboard's limit, I believe).

Is that motherboard any good? There was this one:

ASRock 890GM-Pro3 890G DDR3 Motherboard

Or if anyone can spot one here:

MSY AMD Motherboards

That kicks the crap out of the two i've posted. I only want to spend about $150 on the motherboard. I'm having trouble telling the difference between them all and weighing them up and deciding, which is the best.

EDIT: Overclocking probably won't be neccesary, but the facility would be great

Thanks for your help!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: AMD Gaming Build

what's your overall budget?

And based off that build it looks good, if you want overclocking I'd recommend an 890FX board. The difference between the GX and FX is the GX has onboard graphics and the FX is just higher end some cases and has better overclocking potential and more pci-e lanes and such. I'd go with an FX board just because you don't need the onboard gpu and the fx will give more features.

the only thing I would consider is a sandy bridge setup. the i5 2500k is faster than the 1090t and unless you're going to be using a lot of programs that utilize 6 cores you're better off with the i5 if your budget can swing it.

psu/ram/hdd and gpu all look good.

That case tends to be a bit on the smaller size, and pretty poor for cable management, so I'd read some reviews on it just so you know what you're getting into, or go into the store and see what it looks like.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Budget? As cheap as I can wrangle it. This one is currently running at about $1,100. EDIT: And thats about my max

Ok, motherboard. Currently i'm using a GX board. Will the onboard graphics work with the video card? Or does it just become kinda pointless and unused? Unfortunately, the FX boards are out of the price range... If the onboard graphics do become superfluous, would it make more sense to use that GM board I posted?

I'll be doing some research on a sandy bridge setup in the next week or so. All the talk on here about it being an absolute beast of a processor has made me interested to see how it will stack up.

In so far as the case, I know its a bit small. I was warned about that already. According to most of the reviews i've found about it though say the same thing. If i spend a bit of time running the cables right and making sure they are nice and neat, airflow shouldn't be a problem.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
I don't overclock

since you do have a dedicated graphic card (HD 6870), the onboard should be automatically be disabled by default.

you can only use one at a time, either onboard or dedicated, not both.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

thanks fat clown... is the 890GM pretty much the same board as the GX? Except, it has no onboard graphics?
Old 04-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

gm is the same as gx.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Not sure if it helps much but my rig below was just built and is working extremely well. I mostly just play WoW for gaming + some other stuff but it smokes. The SSD is super nice, too.

Cheers
OCZ Vertex 2 80G SSD
WD Caviar Black HDD 1TB
Corsair HX650 Modular PSU
XFX Radeon HD 6870 1G
Some random optical drive
Old 04-06-2011, 04:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via MSN to thesilversavers

Nice rig. btw, I'm kindof new here, so if you don't mind can you tell me how I can put the comp spec information on the bottom of each post?
Old 04-06-2011, 06:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Had you read the forum rules, you would know.

Signature Priviledges

General Forum Rules

I'll direct you to points #2 and #7 in the general forum rules.

Back to the topic at hand: Seeing as the GX and GM are the same, just the GM has no onboard graphics.

Can I overclock on the GM board with an aftermarket heatsink on the cpu?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hey Fat Clown

I want you to know that AMD is better, so your avatar has two options and Nividia is not one of them, sorry...

Closed Thread