AMD Dual cores and OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Askar

Solid State Member
I'm planning to build my first AMD rig soon. Currently I have a P4 3ghz with a nice intel mobo. I want to step up to the big leagues. One of my main quiestions is about the OS. If I get a dual core like the Athlon 64 X2 4200+, do I need a 64 bit OS or is regular XP Home fine?

I am using Dua-Core on regular Home and Professional. though I was thinking of 64-bit as well, but the minus points of 64-bit O/S are:

you wont be able to find all hard-ware drivers for 64-bit.

and, some 32-bit applications runs slower on 64-bit os. better to get sp1a+ so you'll get dual processor support, otherwise Home only support 1 processor. (not the case in xp-pro)

I had heard there were driver issues and stuff. I just wanted to make sure that you don't NEED a 64 bit OS. I've been debating on whether to get a dual core or just go for the top single core I can afford.

I think if you go to buy a new copy of XP these days they pretty much come with sp2 now don't they? Seems like when I was on newegg earlier they all seemed to list sp2.

Maybe not. I'm kinda funny that way I guess. I do have my last XP installed on at least 2 different computers, but I want to get a new one for my new rig. Maybe I shouldn't bother, but I probably will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom