AMD Core Ranks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham

In Runtime
I did a search and found little to no results directing this question:

What are the benefits of different cores in the AMD 64 chips? I am starting to save up money for when FEAR comes out to get some ram with better latency such as OCZ or Patriot, either a DFI or Asus board (not really a fan of overclocking so ASUS is stable and good fer me but willing to hear opinions), and an Athlon 64 3800+ and maybe 4000+. The dual core Athlon 64s are probably useless to me. I don't multitask and 64-bit processing is kind of a joke in a sense that everything is still 32-bit. Read some reviews and those two processors I mention perform realllllly nice....

Also I think I got to sell my x850 xt to a bonehead on eBay and get a nVidia card since ATI is not doing too well in FEAR feedback.

the different cores are basically where the maker has tried to improve on their CPU.
AMD's latest is the Revision E core, or Venice/San Diego. they are able to get really high clock speeds, and are liked by overclockers.

the 4000+ is heaps better than the 3800+ as the 4000+ is a renamed fX-53 and the 3800+ is an overclocked 3000+ (only by 400mhz)

If you get the 3800 get the vience core and if you get the 4000 get the san diago core. The improvements made on those are tweaked memory controller(more efficent and can handle 4 ram sticks at max ddr400 speeds), .90 process (runs cooler).

oops didn't search any other forum but this specific category. thank you DJ

yeah 4000+ reviews show a 30 fps difference in some applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom