AMD Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubFusion

In Runtime
I already asked about AMD's 6-core processor in a previous post, but i have a few more questions so i figured i would just make a new thread. I'm looking at AMD's chipsets, and I'm wondering which one i should go for. My main focus is gaming, so I've been looking at the 790FX and GX chipsets. So my question is GX or FX or something different entirely?

ASUS M4A78T-E is the current board im leaning towards. And i am planning on running a 965 BE.

So that board says it supports 2000MHz memory (O.C.'ed). Now could i go with a set of stock 2000 or should i say get a set of 1600 and O.C. myself?

I mean is it worth the extra 400mhz for the price?

no, you will not see any real performance gain with 2000 over 1600, or even 1333 for that matter.

i say get 1333 with low latency timing and overclock it to 1600, but even then, DDR3 is so freaking fast you wont really see any kind of noticeable performance gains in games, maybe in benchmarks, but if comparing your computer to people who spend thousands and thousands of dollars on their computer isnt what gets your butt hole puckered then just go with 1333.

I know being somewhat inexperienced is never a bad thing, but im not totally nub. Its just i haven't had the cash to go modern... I mean, this is the first time i have been able to venture out from my current machine, which is a water cooled P4. lol

So your saying 1333 would be best cause i could always OC to squeeze a tad more out of them?

Now define "low" latency for DDR3, cause im seeing latencies as low as 5, but for DDR2. Im finding DDR3 with a latency of 7, 8, and 9.

correct go with 1333 and overclock it... i have my 1333 overclocked to 1800 m(i have a ram cooler ).

and having a low latency isnt really all that worth it either, just spend what you are comfortable spending on ram, or tell me what your budget is for ram and ill find some good ram, or just tell me what your budget is for a computer and i will put together a " best bang for your buck " build for you.

im thinking 2 sets of those. I've read that on 64 bit OS's you generally want more ram, but is 8gb overkill if i wanted to go with Windows 7 64bit?

That's a nice set of RAM. I have those. I haven't tried to OC them yet though.

Unless you're going to be doing a lot of things on this PC (video editing, things like that) you'll be fine with 4gb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom