AMD Board Approves Acquisition of ATI, Banker Confirm - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 11:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to meefle
Default AMD Board Approves Acquisition of ATI, Banker Confirm

Quote:
According to a report in The Globe and Mail, the board of directors at AMD has allegedly approved the takeover of Canadian graphics firm ATI Technologies. The reports said that the information was released by an investment banker that was part of the discussions. According to other sources, AMD executives were also seen at ATI's headquarters in Thornhill, Ontario. The report indicated that AMD is considering a $5.6 billion takeover bid for ATI.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3453

*G.Skill 1GB DDR 400
*Kingwin Mutant X Series
*HP IDE Lightscribe DVD Burner
*Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA II
*Maxtor 80GB IDE
*OCZ Gamexstream 600W PSU
Old 07-22-2006, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

What deos that mean? Good drivers for ATI? Better physics processing for the future? a 3800+ in a graphics card (lol)?

These are totally different companies, how the **** is AMD going to make graphics cads?

Old 07-22-2006, 11:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

AMD isnt going to make graphics cards. ATI isn't going to make CPU's. But both companies can benefit from each other. ATI benefits from AMD's manufacturing ability and technological contributions, AMD benefits because by having its own motherboard chipsets and graphics cards.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Sick! Now AMD is going to kick so much as when paired with an ATI card. Theyre gonna make stuff work so well together and I have a feeling that this will kill the Conroe CPU in gaming terms, especially when AMD makes the switch to 65nm...Dayum! I just though of something, this might keep AMD a float because theyre going to lose a lot of sales to the new line of Intels CPUs.

Old 07-22-2006, 03:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by reggie_da_man
Sick! Now AMD is going to kick so much as when paired with an ATI card. Theyre gonna make stuff work so well together and I have a feeling that this will kill the Conroe CPU in gaming terms, especially when AMD makes the switch to 65nm...Dayum! I just though of something, this might keep AMD a float because theyre going to lose a lot of sales to the new line of Intels CPUs.
Think of what you're saying. This is not going to have an immediate effect on anything. Until AMD comes up with a completely new architecture (not K8L), the Conroe achitecture will still be superior. Moving to 65nm process isn't going to be a groundbreaking event for AMD either. Pentium D 9XX's are 65nm, and that didn't make much of a difference in their performance compared to AMD X2's. And if ATI were to somehow find a way to make their graphics cards work better with AMD processors than with Intel processors, don't you think that the people who switched over to Intel because they want performance and aren't fanboys would go with Nvidia cards instead of ATI? They'd be shooting themselves in the foot.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

dang it! I like my nvidia though

I suppose if AMD does actually help out ATI in making stronger cards that work together with the AMD CPU's and better drivers then I just might have to switch to ATI, but I've been an advocate of nvidia for so long I don't wanna!
Old 07-22-2006, 05:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Hold on that is one article which is 11 hours old. There are newer articles that say it is still speculation. Your article is the only one I could find that says the deal went through. Check google news everything is still up in the air isn't it?

If the deal did go through it will change a few things in the future for AMD but I still am going to buy the the best products when I'm building a PC (which I will not for some time) and at this time it's Intel and Nvidia.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 07-22-2006, 05:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler1989
Hold on that is one article which is 11 hours old. There are newer articles that say it is still speculation. Your article is the only one I could find that says the deal went through. Check google news everything is still up in the air isn't it?

If the deal did go through it will change a few things in the future for AMD but I still am going to buy the the best products when I'm building a PC (which I will not for some time) and at this time it's Intel and Nvidia.
The newest spin I've seen is that AMD doen't have the money to buy ATI, but they are looking at a merger.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

yeah all I'm reading from the article is that some AMD executives have said "yeah it's cool if we buy out/merge with/whatever you wanna call it ATI"...that still leaves ATI with a decision to make and the actual transaction to happen

either way I'd say this sucks as now we have AMD making their own chipsets and we all know how that works with Intel, new chipset needed to support every single **** little revision in the processor. I can't see anything coming out of this except some sort of monopoly
eVGA 8800GTS 320MB / eVGA 6800GS 256MB
150GB Raptor / 74GB Raptor
2x500GB / 320GB
OCZ GameXStreme 850w / OCZ StealthXStream 600w
Old 07-22-2006, 05:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Alright, -edited- since i'm now confused...... I need to look up in my computer see which tech news site used rumours to make articles sorry if I was mistaken, below comment, edit it too please

Either way though, I'd like to see more resources first before I jump into conclusions.

-Jo

Closed Thread