AMD A6-5400K + 4x HD 7970

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
Hey guys, I'm working with an investor to make a bunch of Litecoin mining rigs.

I'm looking to buy parts locally, so I need to work with the cheapest MOBO+CPU combo available to me.

Unfortunately, my local retailer doesn't have Sempron 145's which are ideal in my case. Cheapest thing is an A6-5400K.

TL;DR Will I be able to disable the integrated HD 7540D and run 4x HD 7970's with an A6-5400K? The 7970's might be mixed with an R9 280X or two.

I don't think there are any FM2/FM2+ boards that have 4 PCI-E slots actually. You'd probably be better off getting a cheap 1150 Celeron if it's available and finding a 4 slot board for that.

Good call, I was considering that only recently. Any recommendations? I'm browsing through them now.

I'm also gonna need some input on the PSU for this. Are 1200+ Watt power supplies without question absolutely necessary?

G/L 4pci-e boards are expensive...

You and run 2 600s and chain them.

Canada Computers | Motherboards | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC Socket 1150 Intel Z87 Chipset | Dual Channel DDR3 2933(O.C.) MHz, 2x PCI-Express 3.0 x16 | Giga LAN, 6x SATA 6.0Gb/s, 10x USB 3.0 | Display Port/Mini DP/HDMI, ATX

$199 isn't too bad. It eliminates having to use risers which are going to cost me about $60 anyway and I don't have immediate access to them which is important.

I'm having a hugely hard time finding a 1200 W power supply of any kind right now in the Montreal area.

I wouldn't be down to chain PSUs.

You're going to be hard pressed finding the proper materials you need to do this locally. Mining isn't something you really want to cheap out on, especially if you want to run 4 high powered cards 24/7. And this is coming from somebody who lives within driving range of 2 Fry's, a Microcenter, and several Best Buys. Your only other option is to just double up which could cause some issues.

Edit: Nope that would be Trotter the admin.

Last edited:
Good call, I was considering that only recently. Any recommendations? I'm browsing through them now.

Read this here:
BIOSTAR Hi-Fi A85W FM2 AMD A85X (Hudson D4) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

Next read this:
Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Motherboards, Intel Motherboards, LGA 1155, LGA 1150, 4

:/

Now look at this
Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Motherboards, Intel Motherboards, LGA 1155, LGA 1150, 2

Honestly if your building coinop machines, I suggest getting a motherboard with pci-e x2 slots.

If you have the money to come out of pocket 286.00 a board more power to you.
Lastly have you considered gearing more towards the higher end am3 phenom quads or lower end fx series under 110.00 bucks ?

Not trying to make this hard for you, but give you some different alternatives.
I'd be interested to know what the coinops might be for.
Once I know that I may suggest something to match your needs.

Have a good day.

Back
Top Bottom