Amd

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonanse

Baseband Member
building a computer and i want to put a amd cpu into it, but the only thing is i couldn't find one that supports ddr2 ram like intel
i had both before but i kinda like the amd better. Also why doesn't amd go over 3.0ghz?

sonanse said:
Also why doesn't amd go over 3.0ghz?

omg this subject has been raped so many times....

ok here...

gaara said:
Easy to explain but much more difficult to get a visual picture of and try and understand but I will try

Clock frequency is simply the measurement of how quickly a processor can perform an operation, and an operation within a processor is the process of carrying an instruction set down a pipeline from point A to point B meeting a number of stages while travelling down that pipeline that allow the processor to use the instruction set

Therefore, one can define 1Hz as the time it takes x to travel from A to B. Now, assume you have a Pentium 4 Prescott and an AMD64, both use pipelines to process instruction sets. I believe the AMD64 has 12 pipeline stages versus the prescott that has 30 stages but don't quote me on those numbers...it is evident the Pentium has much longer pipelines than the Athlon

If you were to look back at the basic formula, you would see that 1Hz on an AMD would not be equal to 1Hz on an Intel considering the pipeline length...the AMD is able to execute the instruction set much faster than the Intel therefore it requires less number of Hz to perform similar tasks

so intel only has more ghz becuase it has more "runway" and it needs to go a certain dististant to make that speed. like a car going 2 mph and is going to travel 1 mile verus a car going 100mph and need to travel a 100 miles and they both have to make it in a hour. the frist one is going to get there faster but not travel as fast as the other one. becuase in this case the pipeline or "runway" is short 12 with amd making it travel faster versus intel 30 at same ghz.

alot of piple line is not always good to have in some hardware

That is the answer: pipelines on the Intel CPU are more numerous but have a higher resistance becasue of the physical channel size in relation to the registers vs proximity and resistance (which is less, in both cases in AMD chips). A 2.2 gig AMD does, infact, translate to 3.5 Ghz P4. If you notice, all of the newer cpu's are adding cores and pipes and reducing the core clock speeds. The Conroe is a perfect example.

am2 is supposed to come on in q3/q4, i wouldnt buy the first batch though. most likely there will be too many bugs. id wait to around quarter 2 of the next year to buy one.

i read some that amd made ddr wouldn't they have the rights or the technology to make it frist?

i find it funny that they would bring the two letters A and M together, because usually that makes me think of After Manufacture or w/e... to me it almost sounds like saying "used windows"...

sorry for the random, but i haven't heard anything about amd making ddr....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom