AMD 64 singal/dual core....AMD 64 socket 754

Status
Not open for further replies.

marty111

Solid State Member
Hello, I'm new here and i'm planing to build a PC for my first ime sometime soon. Hoping for some advice.

First of all i have choosen to go for a AMD processor. And i have my mind set on a the 939 socket.

Looking at the prices they seem high and slow when i read the speed in Ghz. For example the AMD 64bit socket 939 @ 2.40 Ghz would cost me about £200 where as the AMD Sempron 3400+ 64 Bit 2.0Ghz Skt 754 would cost me just £80. And then a pentium 3Ghz would cost about £215.

I wondered if anybody would be willing to help me on why paying more money for a slower frequency is worth it? Will a AMD dual core 2Ghz operate better than a 3Ghz (or there abouts) Pentuim? - Or shed some light on the real world difference between the different sockets and why the same clocks might operate differently.

Any help would be great, or a link to another page. I've been looking around but can't find comparasions.

Yes, you cannot compare clock speeds on completely different architectures. A 1.8ghz Athlon 64 3000+ will run in the same neighborhood as a 3ghz P4 with Hyper Threading. When comparing AMD chips to the Pentium counterparts, use the OTHER numbers. 3000+, 3200+, 3500+, 3700+... ect

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom