AMD 5000+ Brisbane BE Mobo questions... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default AMD 5000+ Brisbane BE Mobo questions...

Ok im building another computer after a very long hiatus from the hobby. before crossfire was around to give you a sad idea of it honestly. im not trying to blow too much on this one, but i do realize that sometimes its worth a few more pennies for upgradability later.

im coming into a few issues, most importantly Mobo selection. ive searched this forum quite in depth, read reviews at NE, etc. but cant seem to come up with any real solid choices honestly.

heres the low down...

requirements for the MB:

*trying to reuse my skyhawk gm570pc power supply, its never failed me
*last board i used a DFI Lanparty NF4 (pile is still in the case actually... ) and i dont think ive been that upset with customer support

but nonetheless....

*will be running an AMD 5000+ brisbane BE
*OC ability is a must, its a horrible addiction from my last system
*im still up in the air about video card selection, and will buy that to suit the rest at this point.
*only using one video card at first, but will stack them eventually.

i was just curious to see what people are using with that exact same CPU. im going to leave it stable around 3Ghz, nothing fancy at first but want something that has some dependability behind it, if i do go nuts later. i dont care about Crysis stabilty since that seems to be the big benchmark nowadays. ill play COD and BF at worst on this. i just need to shoot something again honestly.

thanks for any replies that are given.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Putting the X in Sapper

Default Re: AMD 5000+ Brisbane BE Mobo questions...

My suggestion is for the Asus M2N Sli Deluxe, as that is what I choose after some research. Although it is a little pricey compared to other brands.

850w Thermaltake PSU | Cooler Master Centurian 590 | 2x Dell 22" LCD

-900HA EEE pc
Old 01-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

I recommend the MSI K9N Platinum (its what I'm gonna use for my build to replace this P4)
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 01-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Sapper X:

doesnt seem too bad spec wise. its actually cheaper than most of what i was looking at honestly, but those other ones are showing up lots of DOA which is not a good sign, no matter how well they perform.

thats why i was looking for the durability/dependability as a mainstay with a 64X2 proc. ill do some more research but thats a pretty solid choice so far (LegitReviews / NewEgg reviews)

thanks for your input

vernong:

thanks for your input but ive heard too many issues with those already (poor layout, OC ability). thanks anyways
Old 01-01-2008, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

i have the asus m2n32-sli deluxe wireless edition.

well, never bothered to use the wireless part of the board, or even to figure out why i would want to or how. somewhat of a useless feature to me.

however, i think the board is worth all 175 bucks i paid for it. plus, ya cant beat newegg's free 3 day shipping w/ it

in hind sight, i would have gone with a non-sli board cause i dont plan on using 2 gfx cards... but thats just me
i also would have gone with ur planned cpu instead of my 6000+, but hey, it works fine for now

My Build: Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe || AMD Athalon x2 6000+ (3.25Ghz OC) || AC Freezer 64 Pro || nVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB || G.Skill 2x 2GB DDR2 800 || Western Digital 500GB 7200 HDD || Samsung 20x DVD Burner || Sunbeam Transformer ATX Full Case || Windows Vista 64 Bit || Rosewill 850W PSU

Logitech G15 Keyboard (new orange version) & Logitech G5 Mouse (black/blue version)

11k 3DMark06 Score
Old 01-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via MSN to DawnOfDoom Send a message via Yahoo to DawnOfDoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1413 View Post
in hind sight, i would have gone with a non-sli board cause i dont plan on using 2 gfx cards... but thats just me
i also would have gone with ur planned cpu instead of my 6000+, but hey, it works fine for now
I agree because SLI is no where near as efficient as many think and you'd be more tempted to do SLI and anyways SLI boards cost more so your saving a couple bucks there.

I thought the 6000+ was actually better than the 5000+ Brisbane BE any comments on this anybody?
Don't Tell any one but I know who Crunch is...

I Do accept support requests via PM, MSN, and e-mail

If I have been helpful to you in any way please click the scale under my name
Old 01-01-2008, 09:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hellfire!

Send a message via MSN to Wildside

get my mobo, it works great! Even prepares u for Phenom, along with 2 PCI-E 2.0 x16 n 2 PCI-E 2.0 x8s.
--EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB GDDR5
--ASUS Crosshair IV Hero AM4 X370 Motherboard
--WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD
--SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD
--Corsair Obsidian 750D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
--Corsair Professional Series 860-Watt AX860
Old 01-01-2008, 09:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnOfDoom View Post
I agree because SLI is no where near as efficient as many think and you'd be more tempted to do SLI and anyways SLI boards cost more so your saving a couple bucks there.

I thought the 6000+ was actually better than the 5000+ Brisbane BE any comments on this anybody?
Stock speeds yes..

but overclocking ability.. how about a "Heck no" the 5000+ BE comes with an Unlocked Multiplier and can overclock pretty easily because of the Brisbane Core which consumes less power and has lower temperatures; however the 6000+ is a very poor overclocker, 3.5ghz is hard to do on it with Water Cooling
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

Old 01-01-2008, 10:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via MSN to DawnOfDoom Send a message via Yahoo to DawnOfDoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
Stock speeds yes..

but overclocking ability.. how about a "Heck no" the 5000+ BE comes with an Unlocked Multiplier and can overclock pretty easily because of the Brisbane Core which consumes less power and has lower temperatures; however the 6000+ is a very poor overclocker, 3.5ghz is hard to do on it with Water Cooling
ahh that reminds me of the intel e2140 i've heard of people OCing that thing to like 4Ghz on water and be still comfortable. it all make sense.
Don't Tell any one but I know who Crunch is...

I Do accept support requests via PM, MSN, and e-mail

If I have been helpful to you in any way please click the scale under my name
Old 01-01-2008, 10:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnOfDoom View Post
ahh that reminds me of the intel e2140 i've heard of people OCing that thing to like 4Ghz on water and be still comfortable. it all make sense.
ya the e2xxx series are good overclockers.. especially the ones with the M0 steppings

Closed Thread