AMD 3800+ or 4400+

Status
Not open for further replies.

C1!m@t3

Baseband Member
Hey guys, im new to this forum and im building a new pc.
Im really stuck on which CPU to get though, and im choosing out of a 3800+ or a 4400+
Ive heard there's not that much different between them both, and it will save me alot of money if i get the 3800+
Im using the system for games, mainly, and ive heard rumours that dual core CPUs arent that good for gaming.
Athough, i was wondering whether i could use one core for games, and the other core for running applications like xfire, msn etc.
Any help really appreciated :)

P.S - Sorry i posted this thread twice, but i did it in the wrong section before ^^

The only difference between the two is 200 Mhz and 1mb cache per core.

It's not that dual core CPUs aren't good for gaming, it's just very few games take advantage of having two cores.

Scratch both of them and pick yourself up an Opteron 165...I see many people are torn between processors such as the 3800+ and 4400+ or the 3200+ and 3700+ based on cache size, but the nice thing about the Opterons is that they all have 1MB L2 cache

The 165 should be cheaper than the 3800+ and perform relatively the same...however that being said, AMD64s are very efficent at using cache therefore it will have little impact on performance in most enviroments

Athough, i was wondering whether i could use one core for games, and the other core for running applications like xfire, msn etc.
It should work considering the game itself is one thread and your other applications each use one thread, therefore gaming will dedicated to one core while the other core idles and waits for another thread, which will come from your xfire/msn stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom