AM3 release and AM2+ mobo availability

Status
Not open for further replies.
im not sure what you mean in your comment that the biostar am2+ board is not a true am2+ board, it may be a modified previous model but does it not have HT3? this is the only fundamental difference between a true am2 and a true am2+ am i right?

that and ddr3 support. that "am2+" mobo is a phony, it has neither.

Yeah pretty much all the new cpu's and sockets will be backwards compatible from what I understand, ie an am3 processor will work with an am2+ board, am2+ cpu works with am3 and am2 board.
AM2+ cpu's won't work in AM3, but AM3 CPU's will work in AM2+

AM3 has one less pin, plus the CPU's will have a DDR3 and DDR2 memory controller. AM2+ CPU's will only have a DDR2 memory controller.

Yeah pretty much all the new cpu's and sockets will be backwards compatible from what I understand, ie an am3 processor will work with an am2+ board, am2+ cpu works with am3 and am2 board.

it gets confusing, but i THINK...that am3/am2+ cpus will work in the am2 mobos.
but am2 cpus will not work in am3 mobos. i dont know about am2+ mobos supporting am2, i dont believe they will.
i want to say that is right. but its late.
so:
old cpu+new mobo = no bueno
old mobo+new cpu = bueno enough for the moment ;)

Yeah, that seems to be what it is, I barely glanced over that article from amd about the backward compatabilty, but what I gather is that new cpu's will be compatible with old mobo's, with the disadvantage being you lose the higher fsb/memory controllers.

right. but the latency issues of ddr3 could be a problem from where i'm standing, i dunno.
3000mhz (or 1500 x2?)ht bus. holy crap, that will take a lot of the sting out of the latency.

DDR3 memory seen at newegg runs up from 1066mhz to 1600mha. Initially I read some information pointing at 800mhz and higher. Still that will take a faster bus there to be seen on newer boards. The windmill has it that the AMD quad cores due out next year will run on AM2 boards. Presently two FX-74s are run on a twin socket board for seeing 4 cores that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom