AM3 mobo? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2009, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default AM3 mobo?

I know that I won't be buying a mobo for a couple months, and new ones may come out by then. I think I have asked about specific mobo's before, but that was when I was planning on getting an AM2/AM2+/AM3 board, whereas I now plan on getting an AM3 DDR3 board.
My requirements are as follows:
-6 onboard USB connections. Unless there would be another way to hook up my 4 front panel usb, card reader, and wireless antenna.
-790FX/SB750 chipset
-enough space around CPU socket for TRUE-120 with dual fans
-140w CPU support would be nice(not completely necessary) for possible future upgrades, but planned CPU is the x3 720BE

I checked out Tom's Hardware 790FX AM3 Roundup. Which steered me towards the M4A79t Deluxe as I wasn't worried about the "awkward" placement of a few connections on bottom/rear of board(which was their biggest problem with it). I was torn between the asus and gigabyte boards up until then, and with the gigabyte only having 4 onboard usb connections, my mind was made up.

Then I saw the ASUS crosshair III board. Being as I have no need whatsoever for 4 PCI-E slots, I was quite enticed by the crosshair. My plans for the board are max overclock using the TRUE-120 copper and x3 720, and thats really it. The main purpose of this build is to get acquainted with overclocking. Then attempt a record OC/benchmark with the x3 720 on air. I will be doing some minor computer programming(if i get the time), Photo editing(nothing professional), internet, movies, and serve as my home jukebox.

To wrap this whole post up into one sentence. Whats the best Overclocking/reliable AMD mobo i could buy if i don't ever plan on having more than 2 graphics cards?

I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other :crazy:
Old 11-21-2009, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: AM3 mobo?

From what I read the Crosshair III is a bit of an improvement over the M4A79T Deluxe. Like you mentioned before on the M4, that the placement of some components are awkward, which seem to be corrected on the C III. It also comes with a better sound card than the M4.

Both should overclock similarly to each other, but I've read that the C III has an easier and more intuitive BIOS. This should be better for you to get you started on overclocking. If your budget allows, I would pick the C III. If it doesn't, then the M4 is still going to get you a great overclock regardless.

hahaha nice find aliasaid

Old 11-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

awesome, thanks much for the help. I think I will go with the C III unless something better comes out before I buy. The $10 difference is not much of a difference for me, but it would be nice if newegg had more combo deals with the C III. Oh well. Thanks again
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other :crazy:
Old 11-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Originally Posted by b1gapl View Post
If you're budget allows,
tsk tsk tsk
"Is virtue a thing remote? I wish to be virtuous, and lo! Virtue is at hand." -Confucius
Closed Thread

« New PC | Monitor »