AM3 or AM3+ Board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Card Trick

Baseband Member
I'm going to buy the AMD 1090T but I don't know what board I should get. Should I get a AM3 or a AM3+? I read somewhere that all the future AMD processors will be AM3+ so I don't want to get an AM3 board and have to buy a new one when its time to upgrade. For AM3 I'm looking at Newegg.com - ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
For AM3+ I am looking at Newegg.com - ASUS M5A97 EVO AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS and Newegg.com - ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS But I don't know the difference between them (besides the $20 extra).

all the future AMD processors will be AM3+ so I don't want to get an AM3 board and have to buy a new one when its time to upgrade.
Certainly not all future chips will be AM3+ :wink:
Seriously though, not sure why you are even looking at AM3 boards if this is a deciding factor for you, get an AM3+.

That being said, considering your other post on video cards and your desire to crossfire in the future, I wouldn't get either board.
Both of them have PCIe 2.0 x16/x4, if you plan on running two cards you're going to want x8/x8 at least.

P.S. Bulldozer is out, you can snag one of those future processors instead of the 1090T if you want.

Gigabyte makes a great board, I know there are a number of people on these forums that swear by them.

My issue with them is they seem to be the only manufacturer that hasn't switched to UEFI graphical BIOS, which could just be personal preference.
And, they have a less than stellar RMA policy. I know Slaymate has a snapshot of the uglier aspects of it, but what I could dig up:
No cross shipping or advanced replacements under any circumstances
Products will either be repaired or replaced at our discretion
Replacements may include new or refurbished products
Average turnaround time will be 2-3 business working weeks upon receipt
RMA

maybe you havnt bought the amd chipset and motherboard yet if so, go with intel, intel i5 2500 or i5 2500k will dominate the chipset that you are looking at for only like 20-30 dollars more.
the only reason im saying go with intel is that i went with amd and now im going to upgrade to intel because its da beast :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom