AM2 to wait or not to wait - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 04:22 AM   #31 (permalink)
True Techie

Hmmm I'm trying to decide if I should make my system a s939 opteron or wait for AM2... I'm thinking of getting a s939 and then buying a cheap stable sAM2 board or 2 and some Semprons and using sAM2 as a renderfarm platform... that way I can upgrade the cpus when better ones get cheaper... is that a sound idea? Also, I'm getting my money for my s939 comp very soon... exactly how much could I save by waiting for sAM2 to come out? Would it be worth dealing with this sempron as my main comp for a long time?

In The Mail!!!!- Athlon 64 3500 @Stock/Abit K9N SLi sAM2/2GB G.Skill DDR2 800 @Stock /XFX G7900GT XXX 520/1500Mhz/74GB Raptor w/ 16mbcache/300GB 16mbcache SATA HD/NEC DVD-RAM Burner/OCZ ModStream 520watt psu/ThermalTake Armor Jr./Logitech EX110 mouse/keyboard
Old 03-02-2006, 04:47 AM   #32 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

That's why I'm hoping by the time I'm ready to upgrade approximately sometime in 2008 I can get me atleast a dual core system, if not quad core and hopefully AMD will be using the XDR or DDR3 memory.....however I haven't taken a look at their road map for a while so I don't even know where they'll be in 2008.

I like to game and all, but these days I'm wanting a computer that can handle a bunch of tasks more so than gaming.

I need to start putting some cash away into a computer fund though so by the time 2008 comes I'll have a stock pile of money to go ahead and get a really good setup going

Old 03-04-2006, 07:04 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

I'm doing something similar. Now that I have a job (work at a local Diedrich's) I put $100/$440 every month into a seperate savings account for my next PC. I have like $640 already so by the the time I have to buy a new PC, I'll have a nice sum to spend.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:08 AM   #34 (permalink)
Master Techie

thats a excellent idea flanker...Im going to start doing that

May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars
Old 03-05-2006, 10:42 AM   #35 (permalink)
True Techie

I guess it depends when you actually plan to upgrade. most of the things out there now will do you justice (even in the gaming department) for a fair amount of time.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:00 PM   #36 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Intel's Conroe and Woodcrest is going to kick AMD around the ring.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 03-06-2006, 08:22 PM   #37 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Brtnboarder495

Sure DDR3 and XDR!

Two problems:

1.) As of now neither AMD or Intel are showing signs of including DDR3 or XDR support for any CPU this year, and next year isn't looking that grand either.

2.) It's going to be expensive.

We really don't have an option ... we will have to use DDR2 now with AMD's future CPUs. At least some intel motherboards for socket LGA 775 allow you to use DDR.

Sure you can stick with Socket 939 and use DDR, but AMD won't release new CPU designs for Socket 939 after the end of this year.

AMD has actually been aggravating lately, with their switch to DDR2 and small performance jumps.

Intel's offerings look a lot more promising.

My main tone here is that DDR2 support is all we got for Socket AM2, like it or not.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:53 PM   #38 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
CPU this year, and next year isn't looking that grand either.
that's fine and dandy since we weren't talking this year, nor next near, but rather sometime in 2008.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:42 PM   #39 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

2011 or 2012 for me I wonder what the future holds. Perhaps after the release of Windows Blackcomb.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 03-06-2006, 11:12 PM   #40 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
My main tone here is that DDR2 support is all we got for Socket AM2, like it or not.
Not really, AMD is going to a 65nm process, I believe in H1 2007 which with other core changes at that time should improve IPC and allow higher scaling.

I would bet that after this move by AMD it will put them at least back on par with Conroe, if not ahead.

Then Conroe switch's to 45nm and it goes round and round

BE HEARD - Techonvent
DS3 | E6400 - 3.2GHz 24/7 | 2GB OCZ PLat. PC6400 | 6800GT | Zippy 460W
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Closed Thread