AM2 to wait or not to wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im just happy the M2 is coming out because itll make the opterons for the s939 become cheaper and if im correct in assuming itll make ddr cheaper too so i can get a really nice OC rig for cheap

Flanker wtf are talking about? MY POINT was the fact that the opteron cpus turned out to be very good with overclocking. I don't give a flying **** that socket F is a different socket etc etc. It will have a socket F motherboard with a socket F cpu. That's how these things work okay. THEN you OC the CPU (again, socket F cpu in a socket F board) I'm saying server setups can be very very very fast

And MY point is that Socket F CPUs won't be used even close to how the 939 Opterons are used because they won't be as close to the mainstream Athlon 64s.

BennyV04988 said:
Flanker wtf are talking about? MY POINT was the fact that the opteron cpus turned out to be very good with overclocking. I don't give a flying **** that socket F is a different socket etc etc. It will have a socket F motherboard with a socket F cpu. That's how these things work okay. THEN you OC the CPU (again, socket F cpu in a socket F board) I'm saying server setups can be very very very fast
Actually, before the socket 939 opterons came out (which are basicly athlon 64's with a different name), the 940 opterons were and still are very different than the athlon 64/939 opterons. They require slower, more expensive ECC ram, they don't support all the special things like 3dnow, sse, etc... They simply are not good for gamers/enthusiasts. They are only good for dedicated servers. This is how socket f will be.

Flanker said:
Socket F is supposed to be only servers, isn't it?

Yea, and God knows when that's to be released.

In addition to other comments, seeing as the Socket AM2 equivalents of the current Socket 939 CPU's are performing at the same speeds, there really is no performance jump.

The main advantage is that it's future proof for faster DDR2 memory (when they get the timings down), and for faster CPU's. I believe AMD want's to end Socket 939 and Socket 754 rather fast compared to how fast they've eliminated past "legacy" Sockets.

Huh, I heard it was coming out with AM2...

003 said:
This is how socket F will be.

And the Quad-Core Woodcrest. So no more, "OMG, Quad-Core gaming CPU" please. Not saying that you do it, but yea...

They require slower, more expensive ECC ram, they don't support all the special things like 3dnow, sse, etc... They simply are not good for gamers/enthusiasts. They are only good for dedicated servers. This is how socket f will be.
I don't think Socket F is going to be using buffered memory as DDR2 doesn't like errorchecking for some reason and last I checked AMD was looking for other alternatives...obviously the pin difference indicates some sort of distinction between the two but I think they will still all revolve around the same K8 architecture

Last I heard Socket F was slated for DDR3 or XDR support so if ANYTHING that's an indication that AM2 is a dead end considering they're not going to market two different memory types at the same time for very long and as I've said DDR3 and in particular XDR has the much higher speeds than even PC5400 and up while maintaining latency similar to DDR1 modules which is ideal for the IMC design of K8 processors

I'm only remotely interested in Socket S1 and Turion 64s as the roadmap has indicated some amazing thermal and power specs including multicore processors...and the true AMD enthusiast cores have always been the XP-Ms in my eyes and I want a deja vu family....but either way I am not upgrading for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom