AM2 to wait or not to wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, the main thing preventing AM2 from working is that it requires DDR2 memory (therefore DDR2 memory slots) where as Socket 939 uses DDR (therefore requires DDR memory slots). Because there is no motherboard with DDR and DDR2 slots ... this obviously isn't possible. There are other barriers I believe though, just don't know off the top of my head.

there are numerous LGA775 boards that support both DDR1 and DDR2...I believe that there will be numerous RevF compatible boards that will support both DDR1 and DDR2 DIMMs although of course obviously using DDR1 will cause a system bottleneck

nitestick said:
i've heard talk of an adapter to make using AM2 processors on s939 boards possible. if this is true that would definitely make DDR a possibility. i heard of this a few days ago and i'll see if i can find a link.
If that works, you can experience the AM2 chips with a lower bus. So it will be a retarded s939 built on a lower process

there are numerous LGA775 boards that support both DDR1 and DDR2...I believe that there will be numerous RevF compatible boards that will support both DDR1 and DDR2 DIMMs although of course obviously using DDR1 will cause a system bottleneck

My bad, I was only thinking of AMD stuff at the time. Obviously some Intel Socket T boards take DDR or DDR2.

Brtnboarder495 said:
That's what I thought too, that's why when AMD figured that the latencies wouldn't be as low as desired, they shot for "faster" DDR2 speeds to make up for the higher latency rate loss ... it didn't prove to really work unfortunetly. I'm guessing the "improved" onboard memory controller and the HTT of 333 may assist in this DDR2 transition though.

I would have to agree they do need the ddr2 latency down a bit and the memory conrtoller definately seems to outshine its compeditor. I found this and thought it was interesting how amd benifits much more with lower latenceys because its memory conroller. I think if Geil can lower an allready very low latency of 2 even lower with ddr, maybe they can do it with ddr2.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/memory/254/7/

Brtnboarder495 said:
Geil? I'd rather have G. Skill or Kingston, since they work wonders on DFI's boards ;)

well dfi are good bords and g.skill and kingston are good but have they ever had their ram with latency of 1.5? doesnt sound like much from 2 to 1.5 but if it was easy then why didnt anyone else do so? Anyways AMD needs ddr2 latency down to at least 3, or get even faster speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom