AM2 vs. 939

Status
Not open for further replies.

railmaster7

Baseband Member
im going to build a new computer and had all my parts picked out one of which was AMD X2 4400 socket 939...then socket AM2 came out and i was wondering what are some advantages to having AM2 over socket 939?

if you get a halfway decent mobo, you will be able to have upto 8 gigs of ram compared to 4gb in a 939

not that you will never use 8 gigs or that it shows a difference but when vista get pumpin and real nextgen arrives, 8 gigs will be useable(though not neeeded)

and there are many new cores comming and already out for am2, like 65w versions.., 939 has pretty much haulted thier 939 development

You can get a great deal on the AMD FX-55 cpu on newegg if you already have an account with them, normally the price is $189.00, but if you apply the promo code "AMDROCKS" then you'll get $50 off, totaling out at $139.00. If you go that route, then you'll have to go with a socket 939, DDR setup.

I'd say the biggest advantage of 939 over AM2 is that you can get some older CPUs that are still pretty good for pretty cheap.

Drizo said:
You can get a great deal on the AMD FX-55 cpu on newegg if you already have an account with them, normally the price is $189.00, but if you apply the promo code "AMDROCKS" then you'll get $50 off, totaling out at $139.00. If you go that route, then you'll have to go with a socket 939, DDR setup.

**** I didn't know that :(

Law, if you have an 939 setup, just return the processor you have to newegg if you bought from them, they're very good about returns, at the most you'll end up paying a restocking fee. They let me return a mushkin psu, which I opened up the box but still let me return it and refund what I paid for it, though you still have to pay shipping.

I think AM2 is a flop (with it's current line of CPUs anyway). DDR2 offers no improvement over DDR and in some cases it's actually slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom