AM2 Reviews and Benchmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow bro no ****

i didnt say they were gonna throw something new out in 2 months

i said they are working on something to combat the better processors.
and thats a truthfull statement as far as im concerned. unless they are sitting on their asses letting intel take over

cedjunior said:
You can't just say "Hey, I got an idea, lets make this!" and do it. It is going to take years for AMD to come up with something.

Too perfect :)

On a side note: I was just in Irving, TX like a month ago :)

tehdigit said:
Unless they are sitting on their asses letting intel take over.

They kind of are, but then the kind of aren't; its complicated. Like Ced pointed out, you can't just wish up a processor. They have to design the processor from the ground up, and they have their hands full with K8L right now.

The only thing AMD is working on is K8L, and thats going to be their answer to Conroe. But K8L isn't going to 1-up Conroe. So effectively...AMD isn't working on anything that will beat Conroe. K8L is just an answer, not something that will beat Conroe. Thats why I say that it will take AMD a few more years, even after 2008, to come out with something competitive.

ehh my instincts just from a buisness standpoint tells me that they have something comming after the k8l that they are still researching and developing.

i agree it will take years
but that doesnt stop a company from working on a new product
again we are off topic and it doesnt really matter because thats far in the future.

Agreed, lets get back to AM2.

I don't think that its a mistake by AMD. Infact, I don't even think AMD lead people on. AMD themselves said that people should only expect a 1% increase in clockspeed. Overall, this was a good move by AMD, and the timing was right too.

I blame us, the people talking about it, for making it out to be something that could take on Conroe.

well by hearing the name AM2 everybody shitted their pants assuming that AMD would come with something like their x2 and fx chips that changed the way we saw processors

but in truth its intels turn. let them take us for a ride
we will see amd later

wtk pro l said:
Green Radience, why dont you just give AMD some credit, I mean come on.

What kind of a comment is this? I run an AMD system myself. And this was exactly what you're begging for;

Green Radience said:
I don't think that its a mistake by AMD. Infact, I don't even think AMD lead people on. AMD themselves said that people should only expect a 1% increase in clockspeed. Overall, this was a good move by AMD, and the timing was right too.

I blame us, the people talking about it, for making it out to be something that could take on Conroe.

And what the h3ll should I give AMD credit for?

Socket AM2 was a socket revision engineered in order to provide the platform that RevF cores required which I presume socket 939 could not provide, which I believe is a result of the ondie memory controller.

The transition from socket 939 > AM2 was no different than the transition from socket 754 > 939, it was simply a revision to make existing cores of the current generation of processors compatible with future revisions. It was not meant to introduce anything new apart from DDR2, and it was a well-known fact that AMD was delaying the introduction of DDR2 until it became more affordable

So for a bit of consolation for you diehard AMD boys, AMD really didn't do anything at all and is still using a nearly 4 year old core concept that it competeting somewhat competetively with an Intel core concept that is about 2 years old. You can also take consolation in the fact that AMD was probably the inspiration for the eventual abandonment of Netburst and the complete revision of Intel cores. Now please let both sides be happy
AMD has only had a significant lead over Intel with their Athlon 64s. The last time Intel had a good processor was back with the Pentium 3s, 4 years ago. So AMD has been in the lead for 4 years.
It is generally agreed that first generation Athlon processors were in a different league than the Pentium 3

Well, thats where the AMD lead started :)

You people say AMD must have something up it's sleeve. Well tell me, didn't Intel have something up it's sleeve while the Athlons were kicking it around? Yea, it was called Netburst (Pentium 4). Look where it left them. Even though they had a lot of time, they still ended up in second place to the Athlon 64. That exact same thing will happen with K8L (which is all AMD has up it's sleeve) as it will still be second to Intel's Core architecture. As if that wasn't enough, Intel has a 45nm architecture (Nehalem, 2008) and a 32nm architecture (Gesher, 2010) to play with.

I think conroe clearly won this round and will stay the winner till at least 08 but this last paragraph at anandtech did get my attention. Got no hopes for it but I am still curious what it is.

AMD does have one last trick up its sleeve before the end of the year, and you will hear about it in June. It's not K8L and it's not going to affect the majority of people, but it is an interesting stop gap solution for the high end in 2006...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom