AM2 has a sectret weapon - apparently

Status
Not open for further replies.
003 said:
This has been posted. I see that it will get a good lead in single threaded programs, but what about multithreaded programs?

Well, Conroe will be better, but quad cores will be out before games will require it (to get a decent frame rate or a min spec) and for apps I can wait. :p

This rumour has put me quite neutral as to what to go for.

Mentali$T said:
But we already know that Conroe is better than AM2 cpus from tests already made.

I am not saying the Conroe isn't the better CPU. It will be better in multi threaded apps than AM2. But I don't have any multi threaded apps, and games will not need a multi threaded CPU for a long while. This rumour will make me think twice about going for a Conroe. That is what I was/am saying.

Eh. If RHT finally shows itself, it could allow the X2s to trade blows with Conroe and its friends in some areas, but I'll bet Conroe will still be the dominant choice for performance computers.

Im waiting till mid august to build. If RHT isn't out, then screw AM2, I'm building 939. I'll upgrade to AM2 if RHT later, or Conroe once the price drops.

Um...guys...if you'd read the other thread you could know that Intel also has something "secretly built into" the Conroe. Its almost exactly like Reverse HyperThreading, but its called Core Multiplexing in Conroe's case. It also lets the Conroe switch from a Dual Core processor to a much stronger single core processor. So RHT doesn't really give AMD any sort of edge.

If people are still going to buy K8 AM2 CPUs, I don't know what Intel can do to stop you guys. They've beaten AMD is every single way, including having AMD's rumoured secret megaweapon.

BennyV04988 said:
...or Conroe once the price drops.

You're joking, right?

Is 'the other thread' the 7 pages of flaming one?

It would make sense actually as Microsoft are having to create the patch for the RHT. Jumps back on to the bandwagon of Conroe and starts wading throuh the flames.

you have to take in mind that RHT Will make you'r dual core cpu useless for multitasking, and believe it or not but 90% of you are multitasking and do need the dual core mutli threading ability, example is simple (True one from my experience):

I like to go AFK on some game no matter what its called and put a bot (Its legal there, anyway) but sometimes botting is boring--so I'd like to go play BF2, with RHT That turns my two, mutli-threading-able cores into one logical unit won't allow me to, but if I don't use RHT, I can set up the other game to only use core 1, while BF2 will run on the 2'nd core, thus I will not lose performance at all in either of the games.

So yeah, games doesn't do mutli threading yet, but we still need that in most of the times ;), another example is when you'r copying or burning a DVD, it takes soooooooooooooo long and you can get soooo bored....... you get my point :)

lol...

just my 2 cent...

-Jo.

Are you seriously complaining about a 4Ghz Single-Core Athlon 64 processor for $183?

Most people don't bot like you. And most people still have Single Core processors. And 90% of apps are still single-threaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom