AM2 or 939?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh

Desktop Engineer
I've been out of the PC world for quite awhile now. Alot of technology has come out since my last PC build, so I'm sort of iffy on the new stuff. Between AM2 and 939, what are the pros and cons of each? I'm starting to consider building a new gaming rig, I would be upgrading from a AMD socket 734 64 bit 3400+. I'm thinking of going with a AMD Athlon X2 4800+, and thinking of Windsor bridge. Also, speaking of bridges, what's the popular one nowadays?

am2 but if you wait a month or so you can get the new amd motherboards which are am2+ and they have lots of technological innovations they also fully support the new amd k10 series of processors current am2 motherboards will support the new processors but not at there full potential. 939 is a dying socket it is old

for amds brisbanes are the most popular because the use the 65nm process over the windsors 90nm,lower nm means less heat spreading and the windsor does have more cache, but brisbanes are more OC'able, which is why most ppl here get a Brisbane 3600+ when they go the AMD/ATI route, u get a decent system for just 700$ and it oc's to 3.0 ghz (sry about the ranting :) )

If you want AMD, AM2 is best. 939 is dead and it won't be back. AM2+ is just around the corner, with better performance with new chipsets plus a new generation of CPUs.

If you want Intel, C2D will be the one you choose.

As for me, I stick with AMD.

oh i didn't no trotter had an AMD, wow u do learn things everyday.... hmm did i miss a lot here yesterday, stupid AP exams.. i had 3 in a row omfg.....

You can get an intel motherboard that supports 1333MHz and core 2 duo. And then you can upgrade to intel new processors "Penryn" when it comes out at anytime.

windsor does have more cache

Note: not all windsor have more cache

i didn't ressearch all the amd's but i was talking about the 3600+ x2 as a reference point....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom