Also my first time building a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
very good build i like... ur mobo is way overkill.... way way get a evga 680i sli, or p5n-e sli, or gigabyte ds3, but never heard of this one... let some1 else take it from here :)

well for a server mobo, it fits in the mid tower doesn't it? and maybe you guys can fill me in on what i need...as in thermal paste and what not..or better cooling methods then stock items...and if using those hard drives for a RAID 0 setup would be good

There are alot of unnecessary things, in your list.

First, I would suggest the MSI P6N Platinum. It's cheaper, and will perform just as well, as the one, you chose.
Newegg.com - MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Second, the graphic card is not that good for the price. Get the 8800GTS 640mb, or the GTX.
Newegg.com - EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
Newegg.com - EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

Third, power supply, is too much. Get the Corsair 520w or 620w.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail

Fourth, that's too much ram, unless you plan on doing CAD, or editing. 2gb of G. Skill HZs, will handle everything, you throw at it.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Fifth, get the Seagate 7200.10 320gb hard drive. It's $79.99, so it's cheaper, than getting two 160gb at $52.99 each.
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

For thermal paste, definitely get AS5. It's the best out there. And for the cooling. If you plan on overclocking, get an aftermarket cooler. Go for either the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, or the Tuniq 120.
Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail
Newegg.com - Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler - Retail

IMO, that Lian-Li mid-tower, isn't good for the money. Get an Antec Nine Hundred, instead. I think it's the same price, but will have better cooling and airflow.
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

i wouldn't keep the HD2900XT personally, because the 8800 GTX 768 MB RAM, is really good, max out any game right now....

i actually wanted to do the dual hard drive thing...where they act as 1...its called RAID 0 isn't it? that what i was going for...ill keep the other suggestions close and continue to look for those parts you mentioned...thank you

doesn't antec have mostly steel cases? i was hoping for aluminum

The build is complete overkill. Please tell us what exactly this is for, how much you are wanting to spend, if you would like to do any overclocking, and if you have any brand preferences.

EDIT: yes RAID 0 is when you take two HD's and strip the data across them both to make things faster.

its actually my own money, i've been thinking about this for awhile, and finally decided to step up...and its for video/gaming, as well as the occasional MSWORD crap that school makes me use...as of now, i think anything under 2k is good...i have a bit saved up, and the rest is for the credit card...anytime i do something, i gotta do it right so it'll last me awhile, and if going overkill right now is what needed, then going overkill i will..and i don't want to overclock it ever...i prefer it to run nice at stock settings

thx b1gapl, ill look into those

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom