Alrighty, Need a Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spit-wad

Bake a Pretty Cake!
Build time.

Friend of mine is a first time builder... I convinced him he could handle it. Need a parts list.
Budget is $1200-$1500, and he also needs an OS (wants to buy it legit).
Maybe I just fail, but I couldn't even find XP 64 bit on Newegg anymore... link?

Anyways, links to a parts list would be wonderful. Everything from Newegg, please. The budget is flexible (could go over $1500 if needed).

Was thinking an i7 920... pretty sure that's doable for this budget, right?

And a 500GB HDD... I asked him what size he wanted and he replied "80 would be plenty".
I told him to stfu and he agreed that a 500 would be fine.

Uses for the comp: He plays a lot of DotA (warcraft 3... so no big requirements there), and maybe a few other newer games, but nothing insane. He wants to start doing video recording and editing, which is the reason for getting a new comp.

So... yeah. Anyone willing to throw together a parts list?
Hugs n Kisses, much thanks :laughing:

Does he require any peripherals? If he's not doing anything that intensive, then it might be wise to to core2 and use the leftover money to buy a larger monitor. Sure i7 is great, but for DotA and video editing it is overkill.

he already has a nice monitor, but he wants a computer that will last him quite a while, because he's been playing on utter crap for a long time

he said he might get a new keyboard/mouse, but he'll get that on his own and it's not in this budget

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-N285-1GH-B GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

Obviously the case depends on what he likes. Could go with a larger PSU if he's looking to upgrade teh video card to another higher end one when it rolls out.

$1412 not shipped

EDIT: I should also add, the GTX 285 might be overkill depending on how high of a res he plays games at. And the Corei7 really would be overkill for that game as well, but it would be great for video editing and encoding. If he's not going to overclock he could just run the stock heatsink. Could get away with a build that costs almost half that and would be just fine for what he does.

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1170-AR GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems
Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - XIGMATEK ACK-I7361 CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Reason for my choices:
-Save $20 on RAM (I build with DDR3-1600 all the time and I would rather use the $20 I save on drinks by going with DDR3-1333 as the performance gain is negligible)
-I went with the Xigmatek S-1283 with the i7 bracket instead of the dark knight because the latter is way too loud, I prefer my computer quiet and I think your friend will appreciate the lack of noise when he's working on projects.
-A corsair 650 is more than adequate for future expansion if needed and is very quiet.
-CM RC-690 because of the ample interior and the three fans that are included are quiet.
-Vista 64bit unless if your friend has a darn good reason not to.
-GTX 275 is quiet when idle, keeps cool, and will run whatever game he throws at it fine. When this card gets outdated, whatever else in the same generation will be done also.

Comes to about $1300 before shipping.

is there anything wrong with that xp 64 bit u linked?

there are a lot of problems with vista and competitive dota... we use multiple programs that are simply a hassle with vista. I told him there were ways to get around it, but ultimately we both agreed that it would be better to just use XP now and potentially upgrade to windows 7 when the time comes.

and also i seriously doubt he will overclock

nothin wrong with it, it's just an OEM copy which means no shiny case, just the boring packaging lol

btw the p182 is just gorgeous

yeah, that is a darn good lookin case... but i also really like the coolermaster 690 (planning to get that on my next build)

i'll give him both options n see which he likes better

also, if he's not overclocking, is the stock fan fine on the 920 or is it worth it to get the rifle/dark knight?

also, anyone wanna confirm that nderscore's build is good? i'm thinkin that everything there looks pretty good.

also, the xig rifle was a pain in the *** to install on my first build... definitely the worst part of the build, and would rather not have him deal with it... unless it was just me. anyone else comment on the difficulty of installing it?

I find the Xigmatek heatsink very easy to install. This is my process.

1) Mount the backplate to the back of the motherboard.

2) Install the two brackets to the bottom of the heatsink.

3) Apply thermal paste on the cpu and mount the heatsink.

4) Put the four rubber fan holders into the fan (most people put these on the heatsink then pull them through the fan, but it is FAR EASIER to put them on the fan first). Use pliers to grab hold of the rubber and twist to pull them through.

5) Put the slits of the rubber fan holders through the 3rd fin from the top/bottom of the heatsink and do the same to the other side.

Another reason why I chose the CM RC-690 over the P182 is because most people find doors annoying ( I have a P182 and keep the door constantly open, so it serves no purpose).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom