Alright Guys, Heres a challenge for ya - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 04:48 AM   #21 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Alright Guys, Heres a challenge for ya

sora, thanks a huge bunch for the info. its helping me along quite nicely.
i was just looking at my old set-up, and it'll give you guys a good laugh at my first sorry attempt:
VGA gigabyte radeon 9200se 128mb
gigabyte ga 7s748 series mobo
amd 2400/266 athlon xp
512 ddram
430w psu
seriously, i was completely shocked that when i turned it on, it actually worked. but now its time for a new one!
back to business now.
the only problem with this new build is that i didnt factor in the os and tax, which would put the total up to 750. thats really stretching it for me! i think bill gates should just say, 'you know what, i've finally got enough money. everything's free now!'

Old 06-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #22 (permalink)
Renowned Budgeting Master

Send a message via AIM to Sora

Two things.

First Windows is free and should be free if you know what i mean. I don't use vista and there are tons of legit XP copies out there you can use. Also you could always get 2GB of ram for now since 2GB is still plenty to get a great gaming experience but it's just a lot get 4gb who want vista becuase games such as crysis...and thats about it right now use more.

4x1GB of G.skill DDR2-800
2 8800GT in SLI
22" Samsung Syncmaster
1 250GB WD and 1 Seagate 7200.10 in RAID 0
Corsair 520HX 3DMark06 Score: 13900
Old 06-25-2008, 01:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
Newb Techie

my only problem is that my last build had a 'free' windows copy, and it was just a bear trying to skirt the validation stuff if i wanted to download win media 10 and other stuff by microsoft. i guess it didnt help that i also put that same copy on about 5 other computers in the house with the same key:freak:.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdshiftdj View Post
If you come to the dark side there's free performance waiting for you to unleash
i LOL'd @ this...

to OP, why not try server 2008? it is basically vista (but responds better) and it can be downloaded and used free. i DL'd the "enterprise" version...i dont know why, lol...maybe because i run a business and it was subliminal? i dont use my gaming rig for business, so i really dont know why...it just sounded better than "standard" lol! it works fine, but you may want to get the "standard" version. probably better for a desktop in some manner.
Windows Server 2008 Trial Software

after 240 days you will have to register it...*cough* there are ways around that, of course.
the only problem i had was finding a 64bit driver for my audigy 2 SE card (it doesn't exist). but that doesn't matter 'cos the onboard of my new asus mobo is better anyway.
actually, i had a lot of problems with it (and am still in the middle of fixing them)...but i was trying to dual boot XP 32 and Server 2008 64. let's talk about a PITA....
i am in the midst of backing up my XP drive and wiping it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglr88 View Post
my only problem is that my last build had a 'free' windows copy, and it was just a bear trying to skirt the validation stuff if i wanted to download win media 10 and other stuff by microsoft. i guess it didnt help that i also put that same copy on about 5 other computers in the house with the same key:freak:.
lol..as far as skirting that key part...when it asks you to call the number, call it and tell them you like, "updated the firmware in your dvd-rom and now its asking for validation" or something. i do it all the time, and it works EVERY TIME. heh, i've re-formatted at least 10 times on my rig with the same disc, and installed xp from it on probably 4 or 5 other computers in my house and my parents. just make sure you tell them it's firmware update from a single piece of hardware...they get shifty if you tell them you changed cpus or mobos.
lol.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:10 PM   #25 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagasama View Post
i LOL'd @ this...

to OP, why not try server 2008? it is basically vista (but responds better) and it can be downloaded and used free. i DL'd the "enterprise" version...i dont know why, lol...maybe because i run a business and it was subliminal? i dont use my gaming rig for business, so i really dont know why...it just sounded better than "standard" lol! it works fine, but you may want to get the "standard" version. probably better for a desktop in some manner.
Windows Server 2008 Trial Software
I second this. I have Windows Server 2008 Database and it works beautifully. Much better then "Vista Ultimate."
Old 06-25-2008, 08:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

You can also make it run for 240 days without activation for people who want to sample it for a good while
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 06-26-2008, 02:06 AM   #28 (permalink)
I feel funny...

Send a message via AIM to thirdshiftdj

what about drivers for Server 2k8?
Old 06-26-2008, 02:16 AM   #29 (permalink)
Newb Techie

im just going to bite the bullet and buy the OS
Old 06-26-2008, 01:51 PM   #30 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdshiftdj View Post
what about drivers for Server 2k8?
as far as i can tell, most of them are the same as vista 64