Almost here, finally...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr DMoney

In Runtime
Hello once again, I have compiled my specifications for my next computer and now I am ready to make a purchase. There is just one more thing I have to do; I need to make sure that everything is compatible and worth the total cost. This compile list of information doesn't include the cost of the case, already purchased, regret the plastic piece of ****! Todays release of the 320mb 8800gts does want me change the fact that I am still getting the 8800gts 640mb unit. It is only $60.00 more... But all criticism is allowed about my next build, so happy talk.

Computer Usages:
- Gaming
- Video editing
- Image editing
- Game creation using XNA express
- Just any other daily process

Things I plan to get later
- 8800gts 640mb for SLI setup (Edit: Not doing this what so ever)
- Dual 22" monitors or one 30" monitor
- Raptor Harddrive or 750gb hardrive for video editing storage
- Windows Vista Ultimate
- Full tower case for more room and better airflow

Budget
--------------------
$1700.00 Initial Cost
--------------------
Computer Specifications
*Note* The number beside the type of unit is the volume, and the price of the unit is the price of one unit not two units (Only applies for the the units that have two or more), shipping nor rebates not included. *Note*

Power Supply Unit - 1
HIPER HPU-4B580-MS ATX12V 580W - $89.99
Motherboard - 1
EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775 NVIDIA 680i - $249.99
Central Processing Unit - 1
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz - $315.00
Graphical Video Card - 1
EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - $389.99
System Memory - 1
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 - $240.00
Harddrive Disk Unit - 1
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB - $74.99
DVD-Rom - 2
LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - $32.99
Keyboard - 1
Logitech G11 Silver & Black 104 Normal Keys 29 - $58.99
Mouse - 1
Razer Diamondback Acid Green 1600 dpi - $39.99
Television Tuner - 1
KWORLD PCI Interface TV Tuner Card - $27.89
Case Fans - 2
MASSCOOL 9025B1M3/4 90mm Case Fan - Retail - $3.49
Heatsink and Fan - 1
ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling - $47.99
Fan Controller - 1
SYBA CL-RM-35FD 3.5" Front Panel -$17.99

Initial Cost $1625.77
Shipping $50.28
Rebates -$70.00
-------------------------
Total Cost $1606.05
Without rebates $1676.05

Also, I will have a detailed summary about this build, with pictures...

If I recall correctly one 8800GTX outperforms two 8800GTS cards. f2b is right that you should put some more money to the videocard and less money to the motherboard. Other than that - good build.

EDIT: Those fans seem loud as ****. 34dBA and not that much airflow. You might want to change those.

Well, I don't know. I really want the best setup. I know it doesn't improve your system 2 fold but still the power for me is worth it. I make $75 a week and don't pay for any bills. I have the money so why not. If I was on a real budget I wouldn't consider it. Also I like the evga board.

Wait, one gtx outperforms two gts. Well, I consider that into my budget but $1700 is the limit so I can get it this coming weekend. If anybody can prove this I would like to see it.

Alright you've come here to ask for criticism on your build. We give you some things that you could change and you decide to hang onto your decisions. That's not a problem, but that defeats the purpose of this topic.

Be aware that SLI also brings extra energy use, heat dissipation and noise. If you like the idea of twice as much junk out of your case for maybe a 5% performance difference, no-one is going to stop you. It doesn't matter how much money you make, you just need to ask yourself whether you think it's worth it, and if you don't know, you ask others if they think it's worth it.

Same with the motherboard. If you want to hang onto it, no need to post it up for criticism. It's a nice board and all but the chipset has lots of problems I've heard; so many that I personally wouldn't touch it. If all you want is to hear whether the build is compatible then I'll answer you yes.

Here is a link for you that compares 8800GTS SLI with 8800GTX. I suggest you skip the 3D Mark scores as they're just scores from test situations that aren't quite practical. Look at the game benchmarks for a fairer view.

I'd also like to point out that anything above 75fps is useless, since your monitor can only run at a 75hz refresh rate (75fps visible) or 60hz (60fps visible). The SLI 8800GTS gets some nice scores in that benchmark here and there, albeit nothing you'd notice.

Ok ignore the post right after yours, I didn't get to see it before the one after it. And thanks for the link. I think I am going to stick where I am at though, but I don't know, because I will have to cut conners and I hate doing that. Meaning that I will have to wait longer and I am in a need for a pc that can play games and do normal day process that won't freeze my pc. And what about the 680i boards. What have you heard about them. I picked it because it was the newest tech with good reviews.

Edit: (While thinking a little while) But I understand what you are saying. The gtx will make the system cooler, run faster with not at 100% settings maxed, less expensive by $200. (if go sli.) I think I am just going to get what I have hear and not no sli. Well, see when I have the money. I really haven't experienced the power of a high-end pc so we will see what I will do afterwards. And I forgot one thing in my first post. I am upgrading my Case after i get my monitors. The fans, I will probably look at local shops for some quiet fans.

I have chosen to stick with my 8800gts but not upgrade to sli in the future. Case Closed
On the motherboard side of things. I want something that was designed for nvidia cards. The 680i motherboard is the most current technology for that. But I am curious will there be any difference in performance between this motherboard and the other one you have suggested. If there is I image it is small. I guess I am just saying what motherboard is better. No price/performance ratio. Just performance. Also you said you can have trouble with the chipsets on the 680i boards. Can someone tell me more information about them.

Also sorry for my backfire criticism, sometimes I don't think things through and don't know everything while thinking I do. I really just need to shut my mouth and lesson to you experts on these hear forums. I could really learn a lot, no wait I already have but still learning. Also sorry for double post but I thought I should do this than post about the same topic again.

nitestickod11tl7.gif

a board doesnt need to be "nvidia certified" for it to work with a nvidia card
if your only using one nvidia card there will be absolutely mo performance diffrence between a board with an intel chipset or a board with a nvidia chipset

if i were you i would get the asus p5b, its a great overclocker and its cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom