Alienware memory upgrade help

Status
Not open for further replies.
vjw757 said:
what does dual channel mean?

Dual channel is a technology to help reduce bottlenecks, between the RAM and processor. And the technology works by increasing the amount of memory bandwidth available. Basically it's like adding another lane to a highway to reduce traffic, and also to increase the flow of traffic.

vjw757 said:
so you guys are saying that i would be good with getting myself 2 of these for my alienware m9700.

OCZ 1GB PC3200 DDR 400 SODIMM LAPTOP RAM MEMORY

You're going to buy two of that, for $200+? The performance, is no different from the cheaper RAM, that I suggested at newegg.com........Heres a cheaper one that will work just as well:
Newegg.com - OCZ Value Series 1GB 200-Pin DDR SO-DIMM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Notebook Memory - Retail

Dual channel is a technology to help reduce bottlenecks, between the RAM and processor. And the technology works by increasing the amount of memory bandwidth available. Basically it's like adding another lane to a highway to reduce traffic, and also to increase the flow of traffic.

You're going to buy two of that, for $200+? The performance, is no different from the cheaper RAM, that I suggested at newegg.com........Heres a cheaper one that will work just as well:
Newegg.com - OCZ Value Series 1GB 200-Pin DDR SO-DIMM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Notebook Memory - Retail

hey b1gapl, is it possible to put my 1GB DDR 333 in dual channel with a 1GB DDR 400? Or would i have to OC the 333 to meet with the 400?

this is just a question ive always had in my head on how to make my computer dual channel, that is if i get it up n running anytime soon.

Wildside, I believe that in order to have Dual channel functionality, the sticks of RAM have to be matching. Matching just the speed likely won't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom