Alienware aurora and a few minor noob questions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Alienware aurora and a few minor noob questions

Just wanted to ask if I should get the Alienware aurora P55 chipset of X58 chipset. first have i3 core and the latter having i7.
Also please explain to me what chipset, ddr3 RAM is, and how to evaluate GPU's.

I know that building a PC is cheaper and Alienware may be a slight ripoff (I dont think so) but I just want a good computer to start with that I can build off of.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: Alienware aurora and a few minor noob questions

i suggest you build your own, if you have the intention of upgrading in the future, get the parts you want and build the way you want and youcan give your self as much or as little of " future proof " head room as you see fit.

if you tell us what your budget is we can put together a build list of everything you need within your budget that will stomp on the same price Alien Ware Computer.

16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Old 10-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

My budget is around 1000-1300 without monitor. Same as the Aurora =). I would like the ability to control fan speed and be able to monitor temperature. Also how hard is it to put together one?
Old 10-24-2010, 11:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

honestly its not hard to put one together and in the process you are learning things. With Alienware you dont need to go through the hastle of chasing down each manufacturer for warrenty. the minus of alienware is that just like Sean mentioned , you don't have scalability which is a downer if your spending that much money.

Heres an example Newegg.com - iBUYPOWER Gamer Supreme 949i Intel Core i7 950(3.06GHz) 6GB DDR3 1TB ATI Radeon HD 5850 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit better specs for the same price, and **** the case even looks like an alienware. and don't get it just because it has a pretty case, you can find much nicer ones.

and thats not even custom made where your prob going to save a little bit more.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Yeah I use to look at Ibuypower but I started seeing alot of negatives so I decided to go with a company with a larger record. Also what is DDR3? Does it just mean it is faster then DDR2?And is getting a USB 3.0 compatible computer worth it?
Old 10-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Heres a little comparison on the memory note: DDR3 vs. DDR2. Is It Worth The Upgrade? , plus with i7's and AM3 you have no choice you have to get DDR3. and as far as USB 3.0 goes, it will be more practical down the road, it hasn't been implemented too much yet.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Finally where should I buy my components. I know there is Newegg, Tiger direct and buy.com but are there any else that would help make making a new computer myself worth it?
And what are some good future proof motherboards out there?
Old 10-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to TheOtis

Newegg is the most common and well liked around these parts. Frys.com wouldn't be a horrible choice, but definitely not the best. Usually Newegg has the best prices, unless you have a local electronics store, like a Fry's, that has deals from time to time.

There's really no way to "future proof" your computer, other than getting a case that'll fit your needs for more drives in the future or a power supply that'll give you some headroom for a different video card. Intel's rolling out the new mainstream socket 1155 for their new Sandy Bridge CPU's, replacing 1156. I don't think AMD has announced what they're doing for Bulldozer whenever that's finally released, I've just heard hearsay about AM3 possibly being able to work, but it's all speculation.

The best advice I ever got, which is the advice I always give, is just get the best CPU you can get for your money at whatever time you're buying parts for your rig.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Another good source of parts is Amazon.com which is especialy great if you live in a state where Newegg charges sales tax, I.E. California. A $1300 order would cost me $130 in tax alone and that hits pretty hard.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 10-25-2010, 07:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

Ive heard that you gotta give attention to liquid cooling systems could someone please tell me what you do and which cooling system is good?

Closed Thread