aiming to 3x eyefinity - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to chump
Default aiming to 3x eyefinity

So recently ive made a complete upgrade to my system and the last piece i've added was my new video card: a HD radeon 6870 - XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

My original monitor is this: - Hanns·G Hi-221DPB Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 Built-in Speakers

and ive recently bought a second 22inch monitor from my friend which is : Samsung SyncMaster 225BW 22-Inch LCD Monitor: Computer & Accessories

I want to end up with a 3 22inch monitor setup but here are my questions..
First I realize these two monitors arent the highest resolution out there which may be a reason to upgrade completely..also is it bad to have 3 different monitors? maybe I can just have my center one to be a better resolution one?

currently i am using one hdmi(vga) to dvi(monitor) wire and one dvi to dvi wire. Would another dvi to dvi work or do i need to use them mini ports?

and lastly any suggestions for a 22inch monitor? I dont want to spend too much tho

CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ----COOLER MASTER Elite------GIGABYTE GA-MA770----AMD Phenom II x4-----2x2gb memory/2x1gbmemory -----750gb HD x2 ---SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4830 1GB ----Windows XP MCE/Windows 7 Home 64-bit
Old 04-04-2011, 07:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
OCZ SSD Enthusiast
Default Re: aiming to 3x eyefinity

They can have different max resolutions and such, but they need to be able to run the same resolution/aspect ratio/orientation.

Other things to consider with eyefinity is making sure the the screens all look the somewhat the same, or it will drive you crazy - that's why it's best to get the same monitor all around. I'm talking brightness, colors, clearness, etc. Even slight differences will get annoying sometimes (based on what others have said). Another thing that I would think would be annoying is having large blocky edges that interrupt the flow from screen to screen; so it's best to find a monitor with very small edges.

Asus P5Q Motherboard * OC'ed Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.82ghz w/ Arctic Silver 5 * OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066ghz * Kingston Hyper X (2x2gb) DDR2 1066ghz * EVGA GTX 560 Ti Superclocked * Ultra X-Blaster ATX Mid-Tower * OCZ Vertex 2 120gb * WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 rpm * OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU * Sony Optaric DVD Burner * Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit * 22" LG Flatron W2252TQ LCD * LG Flatron E2281

Samsung Series 7 17.3" Laptop w/ 256gb Vertex 4 SSD
Old 04-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Default Re: aiming to 3x eyefinity

I strongly recommend 3 identical monitors, but you can get by with 3 not-identical monitors as long as they are all the same resolution. Eyefinity requires that all monitors in a group be the same resolution. If one monitor is smaller than the others, the lowest resolution that all monitors support is used, causing a blurry picture (and possibly stretched depending on aspect ratio) on the larger resolution monitors. If the colors aren't the same it can be annoying as well. I have three Dell ST2210's for Eyefinity and one of them needed to be replaced. The replacement was from a different production run and was different enough to have a noticeable color difference. I tuned it out with the color settings on the monitor as best I could but even for 3 of the same model color can be a problem.

Closed Thread