Agp or Pci

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I'm aware there is a significant difference in performance. The rest of your system isn't by any means too sluggish, so a new graphics card would give you another year or two's worth of reasonable performance.

I'd go with the upgrade then look at a new system in the reasonably near future, while you can still get a little cash back from your investment in a new graphics card for your current machine.

But, if you can afford it, I would go for a new system. You don't need to spend that much to get significant performance over your current system. Have a look around, see what you could get back if you sold your current machine and see if it would be faesable to fund a new machine.

Your current one isn't bad, just going with new technology in the form of PCI-E, SATA(II?) and so forth will stand you in better stead in a year or twos time.

Go for a 6800GS in AGP when it comes out or get a 6800GT AGP if you can find one. Steer clear of the X800 series, they are overpriced for what you get these days, and they lack shader model 3. Not that they aren't good cards, they just aren't practical to get.

Try to rebuild your system around PCI-E if you can, AGP is dead.

Its seems difficult to find many agp cards these days in the u.k, especially decent 6600/6800`s.I keep changing my mind every few minutes,but getting some money back on my current pc and buying a brand new one with high end parts sounds like a good idea.

It's the way I would go ;) I'm in the UK too rgb, so I can relate. I bought the parts for my new rig and went the PCI-E route because as some of the guys here say, AGP is dying if not dead.

See what you can get back on that one, it's not too bad and will suffice for casual gamers and people after something for media playback, office work etc.

Yeah im certainly gonna give it more thought,will probably wait till new year now,hopefully prices may come down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom