AGP Bus Slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

V3NOM

Beta member
I have a Compaq PC that I bought three years ago, what was considered a higher-end gaming PC back then (2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 Processor, 512 Mb RAM). I recently wanted to install a good video card that will play modern games at good visual quality. My current target is a ATI RADEON 9800 Pro, and it only comes in AGP configuration. My PC should have an AGP Bus Slot, and there is even a place for the plastic slot on the motherboard (and an opening in the back of the case!), but the slot itself is missing. It may be that there is something about AGP that I don't know, so I am asking: Does anybody know how I can obtain a slot for my motherboard? Are there any specific drivers (apart from the CATALYST software that comes with any RADEON video card) that I need to install in order to get AGP to work? Any available knowledge would be a big help.

usually agp slots are brown (or black) and set back further than the white pci slots. it is the closest slot to your power supply on the board. Do you see one of these on your board when you open the case?

There is a place where the brown slot should go, even labeled "AGP1" in small text, there is a space set on the mother board in the shape of an AGP slot where one would be, closest to the power supply, with three small holes that seem like clips to put the plastic slot in. But there is no AGP slot itself.

That's too bad... Anybody know a good graphics card (PCI-compatible!) that will at least run modern games comewhat smooth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom