New builds are always exciting...
+1
5870s are better than the GTX470
however the gtx480 are better than the 5870

Ordered! I placed my order today for the following:

Intel Core i7 930
Gigabyte LGA1366 USB3/SATA6 motherboard
OCZ Gold 6GB RAM
Diamond ATi Radeon HD 5870 1GB (chose this over the Sapphire due to the nicer heatsink and the reference board design, read that the Sapphire's smaller PCB lacked some of the voltage control devices found on the reference board)
WD Caviar Black 640GB (SATA6)
Rosewill PCI Express x1 to 2 Serial Ports
Antec Nine Hundred case
Arctic SIlver 5 thermal paste

I already bought the PSU (Antec Earthwatts 650W) last Friday and it seems like an awesome PSU. Hooked up to my current server build it ran great without even getting warm to the touch (my 500W Rosewill PSU heats up like crazy on the same build).

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you spend? I'm looking to build a new desktop this summer, and am trying to get some information on how much people are spending.

In total my Newegg order came to around $1350. That's without a PSU because I bought it from my university bookstore since I had a gift card (paid $45 after the $50 gift card for it). The build in total is probably $1400, you can probably shave $40 off because I got a tube of Arctic Silver 5 (the one I have now is running empty) and a PCI express to serial ports card (most people don't need this, I use it for circuits and microcontrollers stuff). Overall I think it's a pretty good deal, everything is fairly top notch hardware and we've bought retail PC's that cost that much after tax.

Do you think it would be worth taking the heatsink off the GPU and applying different paste? I read some reviews that said they did that and improved temps. I also didn't buy an upgraded heatsink for my i7. I figure if I decide to overclock it and my temps get high I'll just place another order later (once I get more money I plan on getting a RAID array for my server anyways). If it would be worth upgrading I'll throw in some other paste then. I've used AS5 on some other things and it seems to perform pretty well, I have it in my laptop due to major heat issues on the HP dv9000 series laptops.

It's not worth it to NOT overclock an i7. Spend 65 bucks on a new cooler and OC it to 4Ghz. Definitely worth the money

I placed my order on Sunday and it still is "Processing". Is this normal for large orders? All of my previous Newegg orders have been processed much faster and I'm wondering why this one is stuck at Processing for 2 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom