Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCoffee

Fully Optimized
OK, I desperately need a new gaming PC and would appreciate a little advice:

A) Is now a good time to buy or is there some kick-*** stuff just around the corner? I'm a little out of touch so I don't know, bear in mind I won't be buying top end, I'm spending about £700-£800 excluding monitor.

B) Assuming I was going to by in the next month or two and for the above budget, what sort of kit should I be looking at from Overclockers UK ?
I don't replace my main computer often, perhaps once every 4-5 years so I'm going to want the best mobo/cpu/ram I can get for my money - the other things can be upgraded along the way.

C) Cases - I'm looking at air cooling and no overclocking (except stock OC on the gfx) I want something quiet but effective. Any ideas?

btw - I'm running 2 to 3 monitors so SLI is a no?

I know that's a lot of stuff to ask but I'd appreciate any input :D Cheers!

You can't run SLI with 2 or more monitors (you'd have to get another PCI Card and put the 2nd monitor on it)

Now isn't a great time to buy because both nVidia and AMD have stuff being planned for release next month.. so hold off on the build

OK, holding back a month for new graphics card is fine with me. How about CPU's etc is there anything new in the next couple of months that might be in my budget? or am I ok to spec a current mobo / cpu?

Cheers,

I was looking at the q6600 last year, is there nothing better on the way? Nehalem was road mapped for this quarter, has it been put back? or will it be out of my price range?

Probably not anything you could fit in your price range... but I think Nehalem is going to fail though because they are locking from overclocking

Probably not anything you could fit in your price range... but I think Nehalem is going to fail though because they are locking from overclocking

lol...thats the stupidest thing EVER. i read up on that too. greedy mr intel rearing his ugly head again..."well, AMD's chips cant keep up with ours, so lets lock the decently-priced ships and that way enthusiasts who want to overclock will HAVE to buy bloomfied (which is probably going to cost about 3x as much)".
greedy bas****. they must be mad that people are taking their cheapest chip and getting 80-100% overclocks out of them lol.
well, i can tell ya this...if this turns out to be true, and AMD can actually make some decent overclocking chips again....i bet we would see a LARGE percentage of defections back to the good guys.

lol...thats the stupidest thing EVER. i read up on that too. greedy mr intel rearing his ugly head again..."well, AMD's chips cant keep up with ours, so lets lock the decently-priced ships and that way enthusiasts who want to overclock will HAVE to buy bloomfied (which is probably going to cost about 3x as much)".
greedy bas****. they must be mad that people are taking their cheapest chip and getting 80-100% overclocks out of them lol.
well, i can tell ya this...if this turns out to be true, and AMD can actually make some decent overclocking chips again....i bet we would see a LARGE percentage of defections back to the good guys.

It'll be really funny when Maroon is still going to be recommending Intel, and then Apokalipse will be showing benchmarks showing how much AMD is pwning with overclocks lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom