Advice with new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammybaines

Baseband Member
I have decided to build a custom rig just because then i know exactly what is in it etc.
So far i have decided on these components:
CPU - Conroe core 2 duo E6600
MOBO - Asrock ConRoe XFire-eSATA2
CASE - Thermaltake Soprano VB1000BWS

Now what i need advice on is the the following components and their suitability:
GFX CARDS - Sapphire ATi Radeon 512MB X1650 PRO x 2
DVD_RW - Samsung SH-183L 18x DVD±RW Dual Layer SATA Lightscribe
PSU - Thermaltake PSU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 PC OR
Thermaltake W0103 Toughpower 600W Power Supply OR
cooler master 650 watt psu extreme power
HDD - ANYTHING OVER 320GB WITH 16MB CACHE AND 7200RPM OR MORE
RAM - SUGGESTIONS FOR 2GB??

Obviously i realise some other components will be needed to make the comp work properly but i just really need the advice for this firstly. Thanks

uh? crossfire is expensive and useless, for only up to 50% increase for video performance

Yeah, don't go with that crossfire setup. Get a $200 card like a x1900. They are much better. I you decide to not go crossfire like you should. (And actually it is a lot less that a 50% boost, try like 20% max) get a difference mother board. Go with a asus p5b. Much nicer and better tecnology.
Conserning ram get this Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Psu- Newegg.com - HIPER HPU-4K580-MS 580W Power Supply - Retail
Less of a brand name but very nice. I have one in my system.

I can agree with a different motherboard, but a P5B is like $100 more than sammy originally chose.
Instead, I would recommend this:
GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3

I agree with the above comments to not go Crossfire (or SLi for that matter). The only situation where I would even remotely recommend either is for someone who has an overly fat wallet who likes to waste money. Go with a 8800 GTS or another 8800 card depending on how much money you would like to spend.

PSU: ORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 520W

HDD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ... RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

The RAM that was above mentioned will work fine.

Get the E6600 and an S3. Actually I would just go with an E6300 as it's just as good for gaming.

For video cards do NOT get Crossfire set-up..instead get one X1950XT. The X1950XT is an INCREDIBLY fast card for the price. Actually If i were you I would get the Open box one for $169.99 on newegg.

For a PSU I would get this one.
Newegg.com - HIPER HPU-4K530-MS ATX12V v2.2 530W Power Supply 100 - 120V UL, CE, TUV, FCC, CB - Retail

That's one of my favorites for the price and will run your card easy.

For RAM it depends on if you want to overclock or not ( I highly suggest you do)

If you do not want to do some serious overclocking get these as they will still go pretty high on an E6300 and will max out an E6600.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

That case doesn't have very many fans holes for that price and only comes with one crappy stock. I love my Xion case and I suggest this.

Newegg.com - XION Onyx XON-303 Black/Blue Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

I see what you are all saying the only thing im confused about is are you saying the G.SKILL RAM will work my current motherboard or the ASUS P5B they suggested. And im having problems working out costs because everything is in dollars and im from the UK and purchase alot of my components as new from ebay - thats why i chose those crossfire cards as i can get two for £70 which is what $100.
As with the above i got the motherboard for £26 which i thought was good for its spec.

Don't get an S3, get a DS3. Better capacitors, better overall build quality, more upgradeability..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom