advice needed please

Status
Not open for further replies.

selftaught

Solid State Member
hi folks, i`m new here and am trying to build a computer. my budget is small so this is a lengthy process [about $200 a month].so far i have a pentium d 925 3ghz , an asrock 775i65g motherboard, a mushkin 680w psu and a coolermaster case. i plan on getting a wd raptor 74gb sata harddrive , a sata dvd-rw , a wd caviar 320gb ide harddrive and ide cd-rw and a floppy.

where i have run into trouble is deciding what ram to use.i need ddr 400 dual channel in a 2gb kit with a latency of 2.5 [the mb manual specifies a cl 2.5 if i ever drop a core duo 1066 fsb in] my problem is the vast array of products and prices , i don`t want to pay for just a name if the quality is no better than a less well known name. what i want is fast, quality ram and if i have pay a little more i don`t mind. so , any suggestions? i`m 47 years old and this is making my hair turn grey! [ not really but any excuse will do] i`m looking for you guys to make my list less than five brands [ from your personal experiences] or point me to a thread that deals with this issue[ i searched but couldn`t find] .
thanks for any help

Hey Selftaught
welcometotf2xr9.png

I would definitely suggest this pair:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

It's one of the most recommended brands, on these forums. And they meet all your criteria. DDR 400, dual channel, and a CAS latency of 2.5.

What will be the purpose of this computer, if I may ask?

Other good brands of memory are, Crucial, Corsair, GeIL, and Patriot.

Hey Selftaught
welcometotf2xr9.png

I would definitely suggest this pair:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

It's one of the most recommended brands, on these forums. And they meet all your criteria. DDR 400, dual channel, and a CAS latency of 2.5.

What will be the purpose of this computer, if I may ask?

Other good brands of memory are, Crucial, Corsair, GeIL, and Patriot.

this computer will be used as a playtoy, i`ve been curious about overclocking [know nothing] and have to start somewhere. i`m more adept at the hardware aspect of computers than the software side. i`ve been fixing old computers for 7 years now and i find it very satisfying to make them run the way they are meant to[not to mention finding the problem] i have no training but seem to be very lucky fixing computers. the worst computer was a ibm netvista pIII [turned out it had 4 blown caps] by the way, i never even heard of that ram from newegg but checked it out, good price but 1 bad review[more than likely the idiot put too much power to them]

anyways thanks and any thoughts on kingston hyperX?

Don't read reviews from newegg. A lot of them are quite stupid. But G. Skill is a highly recommended brand. You can ask anyone. About Kingston, which model are we talking about here. Link?

What's you're reason to get a raptor? I'm not bashing your decision but usually the raptor isn't worth it, usually. If you're going to pay that much for a hard drive I'd recommend this Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

80 bucks for 300gigs, not bad if you ask me.

going for the raptor because 1. had bad luck with maxtor and seagate
2. i run old machines and noticed big difference going from 5400rpm to 7200rpm and figured 10,000rpm has to make a difference too.
3. my board is only sata1 with no raid[whatever that is] and so is the raptor.[ think of cars and i`m going from a 60`s unit to a late 90`s and what the **** is abs?] thanks for replying

going for the raptor because 1. had bad luck with maxtor and seagate
2. i run old machines and noticed big difference going from 5400rpm to 7200rpm and figured 10,000rpm has to make a difference too.
3. my board is only sata1 with no raid[whatever that is] and so is the raptor.[ think of cars and i`m going from a 60`s unit to a late 90`s and what the **** is abs?] thanks for replying

anti brake stick?

well, the jump isnt that drastic from what ive seen. well atleast not cost wise. if not maxtor and seagate, try WD. all three are respectible brands, i ran a WD ide hd for 12 years (if you count the time it was in my dads computer before mine)

maxtor is not a respectable brand :/ they are seagates low quality models
the barracuda 7200.10 series is the best for low capacity 800-500
and the barracuda ES for high quality reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom