Advice on a computer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

RisingFalls

In Runtime
Hey guys.
I'm planning to buy for $300 off someone on eBay a computer lacking nothing except the keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, and an operating system. Everything I can have, except the OS.

For $300 I get -
1gb RAM
Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz processor that supports hyper threading
200 Gb hard drive
CD-RW / DVD combo
With the case, and power supply.

I'm planning to add on my own GeForce and Sound Blaster, but I'm bugged about the OS. I don't want to go and buy windows XP with Vista being out, then after Vista fixes it's bugs and gets a little cheaper, I lost money.
I don't want to buy Vista now either, with it's bugs and price.

Someone told me if I had another hard drive with XP installed on it, I could just set that to master and the hard drive being included in the computer to slave, which I happen to have.
Someone else happened to tell me if I tried to use the hard drive I had previously, blue screens of death would pop all over the place trying to load drivers that it can't find and such.

Someone please provide their advice!

If i were you, i would use your XP hard drive [Without using a slave]
**actually it depends how big the XP HD is**
but assuming its a decent size id forget about the slave

For $300 that seems like a good deal...Good Processor and Ram and the decent hard drive as well

i would just wait untill you are ready to get Vista to use the 200gbHD

I wouldn't buy that computer just becuase it has a Pentium 4 in it...I wouldn't buy a computer with a P4 in it. I would at least ave an AMD 3200+ in it.

yo old just uy xp with the vista upgrde cupon. on a dfferent note i sold my old wb srfin comp to me loser for $900 lol, it had 3ghz p4 ,1gbram, fx5500, 160gb hd, and a pirated windows xp: jk(amI?) so yeah youre getting a good deal, but it would help if that mob had lga775 socket ut then again it problaly couldn't supprt coroe, or ddr2 mem but still a ood deal if youre anaverage gamer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom