Advice on Build for Friend - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2012, 02:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Advice on Build for Friend

Hey everyone,

So I am building a friend a computer and he is on a bit of a budget. So we've been looking around and found some processors to start out with. There will be more advice needed but for now this is what I'll start with.

Processor Options:
  • Intel i7 920 (Price: $65) - Do not believe it comes w/ stock fan
  • Intel i7 920 (Price: $120) - Again not sure if it comes w/ stock fan
  • Intel i7 920, i7 930, i7 950 (No price asking for reasonable offer hope you could help with with that)
  • Intel i7 2600k Brand New (Price: $300) - Probably more power than he needs and wants to spend but wanted my opinion.
  • Intel i3-2130 (Price: $100) - Used lightly

Power Supplies:
  • OCZ 600w Blue LED (Price: $30)
  • Delta 460w (Price: $15)

Other than that we haven't decided on much. I told him we needed to make a choice around a processor so that we could get the appropriate motherboard and go from there.

A little background. He is a retired gentlemen. He isn't a hardcore gamer. He just likes to have some cool tech stuff but nothing super flashy. He'll want it to surf the web, browse multimedia, watch videos, etc. I guess you could say a pretty average user. However, again he wants it to be the best he can get for the money.

I don't know a whole lot about the Intel 900 series processors so that is where I need some help. He is willing to go with an AMD but I think he is leaning towards an Intel. I told him an Intel i3 Sandy Bridge would give him all the power he needs but he wanted to check out some other options.

Would any of those i7s, for the price, be better than a current i3 Sandy Bridge?

Also, as far as those power supplies go. Are they any good? I've never even heard of Delta and I know OCZ is well known for SSD drives but don't know much about their power supplies.

Since he isn't a gamer, nor will he be watching hooking it up to a TV for high def we'll be using an on-board graphics and audio. I personally am a huge ASUS fan but they aren't the cheapest out there. Any suggestions on good brands that aren't crap for a decent price?

Any other information you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Also, he won't be needing a hard drive or any optical drive as I have already got spares I am providing.

Thanks so much in advance!

Cooler Master HAF X RC-942 - Intel Core i7 950 - ASUS Sabertooth X58 - G.Skill Ripjaws 6GB RAM - Cooler Master Hyper N520 - ATI HD5870 - XFX P1-650X-CAG9 - Western Digital Black Caviar 1TB HDD - RevoDrive 240GB SSD - Windows 7 64-bit

Cooler Master HAF X RC-942 - Intel Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2600K - ASUS Sabertooth P67 - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB RAM - Cooler Master V8 - AMD HD6970 (Crossfire) - CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 PSU - Western Digital Black Caviar (1.5TB) & Green Caviar (2TB) HDD - OCZ Agility 2 160GB SSD - Windows 7 64-bit
Old 05-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord of Bacon
Default Re: Advice on Build for Friend

Honestly doubt he'll see much difference between the i7 920 and i3 2130 for what he is using it for (benches).
The 920 doesn't have an upgrade path though, so may take that into consideration when buying.

I would say if that first 920 has the stock fan, buy it, $65 is a steal.
If not you'll be getting closer to the i3 price having to buy an aftermarket cooler, so might as well buy the i3.

As to the power supplies, OCZ's newer offerings are doing quite well, don't think I've seen one with blue LEDs though.

Please read through the thread thoroughly before responding.
Nobody wants to read a wall of text, formatting is your friend.

i5 3570k | 8GB G.Skill 1600MHz | R9 290 | SeaSonic 750X
Old 05-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru
Default Re: Advice on Build for Friend

Go with the Sandy i3.
This board. - ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

This PSU. - CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Grab an ATX case and go from there.

If he wont be gaming or anything that requires super power then having a quad with HT is pointless and will just eat up unnecessary power.

4 or 8GB of RAM will be fine in the 1600 range.
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire Mechwarrior Online = Thunderson PSN = PP_Mguire

Need Descent and Mechwarrior buddies!
If I helped you, give a thanks! ↓
Access to my Plex PM me.
Closed Thread