Advice - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to Hayden13
Default Advice

Hey, I'm new to the forums and to computer gaming. I don't really know much about computers but what I do know is that mine sucks. I really want to get into computer gaming because x-box live and PSN are really starting to get old and I also want to try something new. My computer now is a Sony Vaio VGN-NS240E, and let me tell you, it is NOT built for computer gaming. I would really like just a fast computer. In the 700's or lower- because I'm broke. I would like it to be able to play games like; GTA or Battlefield. Recently I've been playing AA2 on my computer and the system lag is absolutely horrible, so I would like a good graphics card and processor. Before looking here I found that Alienware is premiere for gaming but I can't afford them so.... I came here
So please Post a link or just tell me what to get because I have no idea.

P.S.
There is a reason why I left out the option of building one myself.... I don't know how

Old 06-23-2011, 12:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Advice

Putting a computer together really is extremely easy. All the components either fit only in one spot, or if they fit in more than one it usually doesn't matter which you choose. If you go with a prebuilt you'll have to settle on some parts that are possibly more expensive and/or not powerful enough and they'll bottleneck your system.

Think of it like an 11 piece jigsaw, pretty hard to mess up especially when you've got people who'll tell you which bits go where lol. Srsly, save money, get a better system, build your own! I'll post up parts to get if you're game

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 06-23-2011, 12:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

If it's really that easy, then I'll take your advice. But I'm still completely lost as to what to buy? Lol I mean I have no idea.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Ey well done! A convert hahaha
I'll post up the parts you'll need to get. Gonna be buying from Newegg, best place for US based peeps.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 06-23-2011, 12:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Okay sweet, this sounds like fun.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Are you going to need a Monitor/Speakers/Keyboard/Mouse with this, or will you be using your old ones?
Old 06-23-2011, 01:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Definently my old ones. Besides monitor... but I may be able to hook it up to my T.V.... Do Logitech G35's count as speakers?
Old 06-23-2011, 01:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Lol they're fine I guess. I can't live without my surround sound lol, but that'll add a decent amount to the pricetag. So yha, those will do. Sweet! Moar money to put to the rest of the components ftw
Old 06-23-2011, 01:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Haha yeah, also if you would like to add even more money to the rest of the pricetag I'm trying to sell an old camera of mine on ebay... it's about the last hundred dollars I need, spread the word?Sony Handycam DCR-HC28E Camcorder - Gray - eBay (item 300569224343 end time Jun-28-11 16:52:57 PDT)
Lol, I'm getting pretty desperate.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

$72 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.667935
$96 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813130583R
$44 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231427
$110 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.662146 ($90 after MIR)
$170 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125353 ($160 after MIR)
$305 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.653333

Total = $767 after MIR

Could probably downgrade the graphics card if that's too expensive, a 5770 will still run pretty well and will cut $30-40 off the price tag. Hard to build a gaming PC for $700 maybe someone else can improve on this.

Closed Thread