Adding Wireless to Ethernet LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnulr

Solid State Member
Hello,

For several years now I've had a LAN consisting of 3 computers running WinXP. I want to add "wireless" capability to the existing LAN but want to be sure of what I need to purchase to accomplish this.

I currently have a Satellite modem (Direcway) attached to a Linksys BEFSX41 router.

I was looking at the Linksys WAP54G "Access Point" for hooking up between my router and the computers. My question here is, is this the best or are there others I should be considering?

Question 2: I want to have flexibility enough to access another computer (not on the currrent LaN) through my connection to the internet so I am thinking a USB network adapter. (I don't want to have to pull a case open to insert a PCI card if possible) Any suggestions on what kind?

SUMMARY: I work on neighborhood computers (free of charge) to get older folks connected and upgrade older desktops to give away as well. I do this in another section of my house roughly 50 feet or so away from my current "wired" lan.

As always, "thanks" in advance.

jnulr:)

I would just replace the linksys wired roter with a wireless one. They are just about the same price as an access point. usb adapters work ok but if you could get a pci one it would work better. Just make sure and purchase one that is the same brand as your router. I would get 1st) linksys 2nd) dlink 99999999999999999) belkin

it depends there also high preformance USB adapters, but typically pci is better. the only problem with a USB is that it can get lost, unplugged or damaged easily. but that wireless router appears to be a fine upgrade just make sure to get a compatible adapter like hefemeister said

You need to ditch the router you have now and buy the Linksys wireless router. Has 802.11g and b wireless capabilities and supports up to 4 wired computers. I have one and it works great. Good firewall and security features.

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for the responses. I've been thinking rather than a typical "pen" style USB adapter, does anyone know about this one:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluster?q=Linksys+USB+
Wireless+adapters&pid=2058786457841205784&oid=
6636580165752105349&btnG=Search+Froogle&lmode=
&addr=&scoring=p&hl=en

This looks like it would be much faster at 54mbs vs 11mbs

Thanks again.

jnulr

link does not come up but shold be ok. linksys generally makes good stuff. remember you need a 802.11g router to get 54mbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom