adding more ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

weewun

In Runtime
hey, im looking at filling up the other two ddr2 slots on my motherboard with some more ram :). i currently have 2x1gb sticks of ocz in there just now. im running vista 32 bit on my machine and was looking at getting this RAM here (OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800Mhz/PC2-6400 Memory GOLD DUAL CHANNEL Unbuffered CL5(5-5-5-18) - Ebuyer) (its 2x2gb sticks of ocz) looking at the reviews people were saying that it only shows as 3/3.5gb on a 32 bit OS and i was wondering if I plugged it in next to the ram i have would I only have 3/3.5gb of useable ram or would i have my origional 2gb + the 3/3.5gb from these new sticks. dont know very much about ram and would appreciate any info, cheers :)

You'll only get around 3.2GB max (4GB - leftover reserved for the system). You'll need to upgrade to a 64-bit version to see all 6GB.

To upgrade to 64 bit you have to completely reinstall windows.. Its a totally different operating system. However if you have vista ultimate I believe the 64 bit is included on the disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom