Adding a 2nd Harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawaiian style

In Runtime
I bought my friends old computer, and it came with 2 harddrives. 1 for the OS and 1 for the programs and things.

Recently 1 crashed and i have just been using one. I then just bought a new one and i am not sure how to set it up for it reads the new hard drive so i can have everything seperate again..

Is there a guide on how to do this? i asked my friend but he just keeps on saying, "Learn"

thanks for any help

First off, which HDD crashed? The one with the OS or the one with the data? Second if it is the one with the OS, the easiest thing to do is install it in your computer, unplug the second HDD and install the OS onto your new HDD. If it was the data HDD that crashed then simply install the new HDD and migrate all of your data back over from the old HDD.

If the hard drive that didn't have the operating system crashed and you lost the media... Too bad, it wasn't backed up and you will never see it again..

^that is if that hard drive had a complete failure and won't read or write anymore.

Turn off your computer, unplug the power cord and then put the new hard drive in and turn the computer back on. At windows it should pop up saying a new hard drive was detected and wondering if you want to format it.

If not you may need to go to Start> Run> then the hard drive menu.. I don't know the command for it though. You can also format it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom