Adaptec card help... What's the difference? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Adaptec card help... What's the difference?

Adaptec 6405 vs 5405

Are there any differences besides the ones I mentioned below?

6Gb/s vs 3Gb/s
512mb cache vs 256mb cache

Also - Which card is newer? More reliable? Will run windows 7 pro x64?

What card would you recommend for my situation below?

I am thinking about running raid 5 with SATA drives then partitioning the C:\ drive within the Windows 7 to create a larger storage partition. is that okay to do?

Thank you

The prices on newegg are the same for these cards... Also i noticed that the 6405 kit seems to be cheaper than just the single card????

Adaptec 6405 Kit
Adaptec 5405 Kit

AbsolutAdikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Adaptec card help... What's the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutAdikt View Post
Adaptec 6405 vs 5405

Are there any differences besides the ones I mentioned below?

6Gb/s vs 3Gb/s
512mb cache vs 256mb cache

Also - Which card is newer? More reliable? Will run windows 7 pro x64?

What card would you recommend for my situation below?

I am thinking about running raid 5 with SATA drives then partitioning the C:\ drive within the Windows 7 to create a larger storage partition. is that okay to do?

Thank you

The prices on newegg are the same for these cards... Also i noticed that the 6405 kit seems to be cheaper than just the single card????

Adaptec 6405 Kit
Adaptec 5405 Kit

Hello,

My Name is Luis and I'm with Adaptec Technical Support.

As far as your question is concerned, both controllers offer the samebasic features with the exceptions that series 6 are 6gb vs series 5 which is 3 gb. One other exception is that while 5405 can use a rechargeable battery to protect the cache, the new series 6 offers the ZMM(Zero Maintenance Module) instead, which is superior to the older battery backup. Compatibility with 6gb/sec devices is another difference. You can review the compatibility reports for each of these controllers here: Adaptec - Product Compatibility

Normally, the kit is more expensive than the single controller, however pricing is controlled by each distributor/reseller, so all we can provide is the suggested retail price.

If you have additional questions, you can contact us directly via the web at http://ask.adaptec.com
luis1 is offline   Reply With Quote