Accessories for a new build - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 12:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Accessories for a new build

I will be starting a thread for my build on Wednesday if all goes as planned but I wanted to get an idea on this stuff before I did my build. I am looking for a good gaming mouse, keyboard, and headset/headphones. And if you don't want to read a lot you should probably hit your back button right now.

For the mouse I would like to keep the cost below $50. I currently use a 50 cent wireless mouse from a garage sale so anything is an improvement. I don't care if it is wireless or not. I haven't used many mice with side/programmable buttons and don't know if they would be to my liking or not.

For the keyboard I am not sure if I will buy one at this time or not. Cost should be around/below $75. Again wired or wireless isn't a big deal. I do like the large mechanical keys over what I would call laptop keys(thin ones/whatever). I have never used a keyboard with macros or any kind of switchable/programmable keys or whatever so I might not even need those.

For the headphones/headset I am not sure what I want. I have some headphones (I am using them right now) that I like that came with a CD player but sound great. I had another pair that recently quit working so I think these may fail soon (and I toss them around). I like the on-the-ear or over-the-ear style. I hate earbuds and don't like the behind-the-head design either. I don't currently plan on doing online gaming so I don't know if I need a mic or not. If one had a mic that could detach or rotate out of the way that would be good. Or if there are some really good headphones without a mic that is fine. I don't know about surround sound in headphones and if most MBs would have that built in or if most headsets use USB. Cost should be around $50-$75.

My preferred sites are Newegg and Amazon. I do have $35 left on a RadioShack gift card if they would have any of these items. Thanks in advance!

EDIT:

I am looking at a couple different mice.
1. Amazon: Logitech MX 518 High Performance Optical Gaming Mouse
2. Kinda High-priced: Amazon: Logitech G500 Programmable Gaming Mouse
3. Amazon: Microsoft SideWinder X3 Mouse
I think I like the first one the most.

Keyboards:
1. Amazon: Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Gaming Keyboard
2. Amazon: Razer Arctosa Gaming Keyboard
3. Amazon: Cyborg V.5 Keyboard
4. Amazon: Logitech Gaming Keyboard G110

Headsets:
1. Amazon: Plantronics GameCom 367 Closed-Ear Headset
2. Mic doesn't fold away on this one: Amazon: Creative HS-800 Fatal1ty Headset
3. I know Razer makes good stuff so: Amazon: Razer Carcharias Headset

EDIT 2: Just found this mouse:Amazon: Logitech G500 Programmable Gaming Mouse It is the highest rated one on Newegg and is a little over budget but I will buy it if it is worth it. I linked to the Amazon page because it is a little cheaper then Newegg.

And I may also want a mousepad so if you have one to recommend that would be great as well.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Accessories for a new build

I can't tell you about the mouse/keyboard because it all comes down to preference but for the headset I had a Razer headset for a while and it was great, got destroyed by my dog when I went back to my parents place for X-mas but that will teach me.
I currently have the very same Plantronics headset and I like it, it is a bit big for me (and I have a huge head) and the mic catches a lot of background noise which I don't like so I had to cover the outside hole for the mic with tape to lower that but it is a good headser.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Trotter reviewed this Mionix Naos 5000 mouse and he really seems to like it

Newegg.com - Mionix NAOS 5000 7 Buttons USB Laser 5040 dpi Mouse
Old 07-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

You beat me to it, Slay.

Amazon.com: Mionix Naos 5000 Laser Gaming Mouse: Electronics

Here's it's little brother (only in DPI):

Amazon.com: Mionix Naos 3200 USB Wired LED-optical 3200 dpi Mouse: Electronics

Here's the mat you will want with it... semi-rigid and flat-out awesome. Good price, too.

Amazon.com: Mionix Propus Mouse Pad: Electronics

I use a set of Koss SB/45 headphones. I haven't been disappointed with them yet.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 07-13-2011, 12:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Thanks to everyone for the help so far.

I think I am going to just forget a keyboard for now and just get a mouse and headphones. I have narrowed it down to 2 mouses(mice whatever).
1. Amazon: Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse
2. Newegg - Mionix Naos 3200 Wired Mouse
I do use a claw/fingertip grip so I know I would have to adjust to this style of mouse but it looks like most gaming mice use a full palm grip. Which do you think is better of the 2? If you can give a reason or good and bad points on why one is better that would be great.

I will probably get the mouse pad Trotter suggested: Amazon: Mionix Propus Mouse Pad

I will probably just get a good set of headphones without a mic. My grandpa does a lot of music recording so I think I will probably go with what he says to do as far as headphones. I was looking at these and may go with them if I have the money. Amazon: Sennheiser HD-280 PRO Headphones. Yeah I know overkill for just computer stuff but I may just spring for them.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Sennheiser does make incredible headphones
Old 07-13-2011, 12:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Yeah when I mentioned I was looking at buying some I could almost hear my grandpa thinking "I'm so proud". He also mentioned AKG and Fostex for headphone brands. Do you have any experience with any of these?

EDIT: Also looking at these: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-P...0534024&sr=8-1
Old 07-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Well I my grandpa was at Sweetwater Sound and he picked up some ATH-D40fs headphones for me for pretty cheap. Here's a picture:
New ATH-D40fs Headphones by Fairfield Falcons Fan, on Flickr

And the headphones sound great.

I believe I am going to get the mouse and mouse-pad Trotter suggested
Amazon: Mionix Propus Mouse Pad
Newegg - Mionix Naos 3200 Mouse

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Closed Thread