ABS computers - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 05-06-2006, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default ABS computers

so for a long time ive been planning to build the computer that i need by July. I just checked abs's website and configured a computer with almost the exact same parts as i would get off of new egg, and the abs computer barely costs more. Am i missing something... or does abs just not charge much?

Old 05-06-2006, 11:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to Saint71

Sure you can get a prebuilt computer for almost the same price these days but where is the fun in that. The reason people here build there own is becuase we are enthusiasts and dont care if we save a little money or not. At least thats how I feel. I would rather spend a little more to build my own computer than get a prebuilt. If you build your own you get the satisfaction of knowing you built it and you can do what ever you want. For example you cant overclock a prebuilt pc but if you build it yourself you can. I just like to know everything about my computer and have total control over it.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

ditto. it is good to know every single part of your computer intimately. makes things easier to maintain and upgrade.
Visit my website - nitestick.net
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 05-07-2006, 12:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to tommyboy123x

same for me

i really never realized how incomplete i was until i met my computer :love:

Dollar Hauler [dot] Com :)
Old 05-07-2006, 11:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

I guess i was asking if AbS has a good rep.. more so than if i sould build my own. I still havent made up my mind on the building thing.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

ABS makes a good PC and they really don't charge too much for it. If you're not comfortable with building your own then just buy it from ABS, that's what I would do. I ahd the same choice with my enw pc but since it looks like it'll be about $200-300 cheaper to build it myself, that's what I'll be doing.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

hmm with mine its only 90 bucks cheaper to build it my self, i guess thats whyim starting to wonder if its worth it
Old 05-07-2006, 11:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to Pepsiboy700 Send a message via MSN to Pepsiboy700

Whats the build you came up with?
i3 540 @ 3066 MHZ
4GB DDR3 1600 1T 9-9-9-28
2x 750GB
HD 5750 @ 850/2400
Thermaltake 630W
Antec Lanboy Air
Old 05-07-2006, 02:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

Abs M5 vortex

coolermaster centurion
antec 500w smartpower 2.0
ASUS A8N-E NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX Motherboard
athlon x2 3800
xfi xtreme 7.1
Thermaltake K450 cpu fan
CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR 400 Timing 3-3-3-8
300gb barracuda
Nec dvd +- rw dbl layer write
Sony dvd-rom/cdrw
BenQ 19" 8ms
Logitec 5.1
floppy drive
keyboard/mouse/OS, etc

i had similar components priced at $1768.66 shipped from newegg, and this would cost 1770.96 from abs, but thats w/o shipping whic is around 90 dollars, the abs also comes with a 1 year parts and labor warranty for no extra.

check: the ABS system is 1720.96 before shipping
Old 05-07-2006, 05:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via MSN to FlashDude

The place I bought the parts for my computer were over $300 cheaper then tiger and it's the same price if I got them to build it for me. I had to tell them a few times to not even open a box!! But My first three or four builds where real cheap systems like make one half decent computer out of two and then recycle a cpu and get a new case and motherboard and mess with that stuff. I think that's the way to learn. Would I spend $1700 on parts for the first PC I would build?? No way. Really there's nothing to it "NOW" but search these forums for the key word first build no video signal. (It might scare you) Really Its a tough choice for someone just getting in to it. But even if they build it for you don't be scared to tinker with it yourself.

We all are caught up with ordering parts online and maybe you should go to a mom and pop PC shop in your area and price out close to the same system, It might be a pleasent surprice. And If something does go wrong You can bash your fist on a counter in front of real people not scream and beat on your own desk when you are on hold to some tech support line.

Sorry for the book!

Closed Thread