AAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! (Newbie Scream) HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

earwicker7

In Runtime
Ok, whoever told me this was going to be easy sucks lol.

I'm putting together my first rig, and all the guides I look at say the first thing to do is to install my motherboard (GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD9 R) into my case (HAF X RC-942-KKN1 RT). So, I get that done, and my project for tonight is to install the CPU (I7 980X). So I'm looking things over before I get started, and I notice one really big problem... I can't access two of the four holes to attach the heatsink bracket (I think that's the right terminology) on the back side of the motherboard, as the case is blocking it. There seems to be a gap of about 1/4" to 3/8" behind these holes, but whoever designed the case decided it would be easier to not be able to access them from that side... sigh.

So, two questions... obviously, I'm going to have to remove the motherboard and start over from scratch. First question... is that gap behind the motherboard supposed to be that small, and is the back side of this particular heat sink supposed to be that large? It's going to be a REALLY tight squeeze. Is it ok for the heatsink bracket to touch the case?

Second question... is it better to assemble all of the CPU parts before I put the motherboard back in? I don't know how delicate a motherboard is (again, first time), so I don't want to move it any more than necessary.

Thanks in advance! I'm going to bed... if I don't respond, it's because I killed myself lol.

1. yes, no worries there

2. you can install the processor before you put the motherboard, but i would install the heat sink with the motherboard in the case. motherboards are pretty hardy, just dont slip with a screw driver or anything, just treat it with respect and you wont hurt anything.

Install the heatsink bracket, CPU, and RAM before putting the mobo back in the case. I would install the heatsink next so you can route your wires around it better.

Whew, I can breathe now. I was thinking worst-case scenarios here, with me begging newegg for my money back on the case lol.

You guys rock!!!

Here a few tips for you so you don't learn the hard way.

Be mindful of static electricity. Try to keep yourself grounded as much as possible (always touch the metal of your case when handling key parts). Also keep components in anti-static bags until you're ready to use them.

be sure to get the motherboard secured well. Don't tighten the screws too much or you'll crack the board, but you do want to put enough screws in so it doesn't move around. This is really important when you are plugging stuff in to the I/O port.

Make sure your heatsink is secured completely. It should require significant effort to secure the heatsink. Don't be timid, go ahead and snap it down tight otherwise your cpu might burn up.

I usually mount the cpu and heatsink with the board outside of the case, while sitting on an anti-static bag. I then identify where the mountin holes are on the mobo and where they match up to the stand-offs on the case.

*Try real hard not to drop a screw into the fan of your heatsink.

***also do not use a magnet wand to collect any dropped screws***

I've been super-anal about grounding myself lol.

Is it possible to crack the motherboard by tightening the screws on heatsink too hard? My rule of thumb for screwing pretty much anything on earth (insert joke if necessary) is "If it takes much effort, it's already where it needs to be." Are you saying I should go beyond this?

Give it more force than usual, you should be able to feel if it wont go in anymore though. Just be careful It's not that hard :) I worry just as much as you do ;) but I haven't broken anything yet :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom