9800gtx+ or HD 4850/70?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtumble2

In Runtime
I'm really familiar with Nvidia cards but I'm not so familiar with the Ati series. I'm willing to spend up to $210 including shipping for a single card. I have a 650tx so running a single card isn't an issue.

Price per performance, is Nvidia or Ati better? I'm not really a fan of either but I have had pretty good luck with Nvidia.

*May be overclocking, not sure yet.

I guess I just need the pros / cons of both.

Thanks

Price to Performance AMD is winning right now..

In performance:

HD 4850 = 9800GTX+ (maybe with the 9800gtx trailing behind by a little in a few games) < HD 4870

I'd say take the HD 4870, its the fastest of the 3

HD 4850 is single slot and people claim it runs warm, however if you use the fan hack, it speeds up, and its still quite inaudible, same with 9800gtx+ except its dual-slot, and at stock speeds its quiet

I'll probably buy the Evga 9800gtx+ cuz its $200 shipped. Works good for me.

The 4870 is like, 70 or so more than the 9800.

Anyhow thanks

I suggest you get the 4850. If your not going to overclock, then just use the stock fan speed and the temps are fine. And if you have too, move the fan speed up to 20 and you won't hear anything. And If you want to overclock farther, 48% is the most you will need without moding the 4850. 48% kept me cool at 700/1000 before I installed the aftermarket cooler and etc.

I think the 4850 is a better choice because it has more potential if you would like to mod it later on.

It handles AA like a dream, and every game I throw at mine gets demolished maxed out.

The only thing the 9800gtx+ has over the 4850 is it is a good folder... but most people don't build GAMING RIGS to fold.

Honestly, unless you play at 1920x1200
I'm not having any problems with my 4850 with that resolution :) I consider the 4850 at this point the better buy.

Not trying to "thread jack" but what is the difference between a dual slot card and a single slot? Does a dual slot actually need two pci-e slots? or does it just take that much room?

HD4870 not worth spending extra. save the extra money on updates. if you have crossfire mobo u can go crossfire in the future when u really need it

He means the 4870 I'm sure. lol, edit his post quick before noobs flee from false information.

Pencil modding helps, but it's still a beast of a card without it :/ Besides I only did the core so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom