$900 gaming pc , any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could go AMD OC it to 3.0ghz and be faster than a stock E6600 which is fast for about 1/6th the price of it and then upgrade to AMD's new CPU's soon and get an 8800GTS...
or go with Intel and not have to worry about a CPU upgrade for a little while

In terms of raw gaming performance the AMD build would give you higher FPS in games but the CPU is slower than a C2D

EDIT: you could build a better case/mobo/cpu combo for that price

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you.. In a few weeks I'll be building my pc with about the same budget. What I'm doing is getting a cheap AMD right now and upgrading it later in the year once Kuma/Agena come out and lower in price a bit (assuming they turn out well and there is a $150-200 one that spanks the 3600+ and works well with the current mobos). So far, here are the parts I'm getting although I'll probably change some around:

AMD 3600+ Brisbane $65 (newegg)
Biostar TForce 550 $70 or eVGA 590 $100 (newegg)
G.Skill 2GB (1GBx2) NR $145 (newegg)
eVGA 8800GTS 320 $260 (newegg)
Corsair 520W $96 (zip zoom fly)
Seagate 7200.10 16MB 250GB (newegg)
Centurion 534 $50 (newegg)
Audigy SE $30 (newegg)
Samsung SATA DVD-RW $30 (newegg)
Arctic Cooler 64 Pro $20 (ewiz/svc)

Comes out to about $865 after rebates (using the eVGA mobo), before tax/shipping and will probably drop by the time I actually go by it (you also get two free games :)). I'm hoping for price drops of about $10 on the CPU, 15 on the RAM, and 10-20 on the graphics.

Also, just FYI, the 3600+ is no slouch. Overclocked to 3.0, which is often obtained, it is on par with a stock E6600.

And just one thing to point out about jumping bean's build is that imo, there is absolutely no reason to get the Hiper 580 when the Corsair 520 can be had for less money (once you factor in $10 shipping on hiper vs. free on corsair from ZZF.) The Corsair actually produces more usable power, is more stable, Seasonic built (one of the best), reliable, longer warranty iirc. The only thing Hiper has on it is the awesome looks, although Corsair looks nice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom