9 Series same old same old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

csaefong

In Runtime
I was seriously upset when the first reports of the new 9800 specs started coming out theres nothing even new about the cards all they did was slap a 2nd processor in it theres no new design to them same G92 chips i was expecting more from nVidia i don't even know if i want to upgrade to it what are you guys thinking about the new 9 series?Oh yea dont flame on me this is IMO.

I'm thinking that finally ATI may be able to give nvidia a run for its money, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Would be great for the consumer (us) though...

It will be interesting if nothing else.. I am hopping with ATI's cheaper priceing that I can crossfire the X2 cards sooner or later.

Course thats all bound to change as time passes..

So is the 9800gx2 based on the g92 core or do we know? If so then yea like people were saying, the 8800gt and 512mb gts are actually 9 series cards but nvidia brought em out early as 8 series.

Well currently the buzz is that nVidia just increased the memory to 1GB and instead of 1 of the G92 Processors on the GPU they put in 2 giving the new 9800gx2 a 30PCT performance boost from the 8800 Ultras depending on the price i might or might not get 1.

If ATI steps there game up they might be able to take the market hopefully making nVidia stop milking the market by making the same products over and over feels like there still stuck on the 8 Series if toms hardware is right though and the gx2 prices goes for 480-500 i will sell my GTS and get a gx2.

aye ati would have to step up their game. even if the gx2 is just a rehash of old crap, ati still doesnt have anything that tops the Current ultra.

mind you their pricing is way better. for most people that alone is enough. I myself would rather power over price. if i spend less to get somethign that won't perform how I want it, then why spend any money at all. ^^ all just my opinion of course.

If you read up on the specs of the gx2, its almost identical to 2 GTS 512's slapped together.

I seriously think that nvidia is just wasting time. They have no need to bother trying to release a whole new line of cards. There's no competition so they're milking their monopoly for all they can. On the bright side, the consumer will win in the end I think. All this extra time means nvidia is free to take their time while they develop the real next gen GPU's and make the cards and their drivers as good as possible before they finally do launch.

I wouldn't say wasting time. On the contrary, from their point of view, they can just rebrand old technology and still dominate the top-end market. So all the revenue from this line of 9 series cards comes almost without development costs!

Its Ati's faliure to mount competition which has caused this.

In a similar way to the intel/AMD scenario, total domination by one company is surely not in users' interests, as if one competitor goes bust, the survivor will have a monopoly and can hitch the price to whatever level.

The saving grace is that I would think the high end market is a fairly small fraction of total consumers so as long as ATi/AMD maintain their repective holds on the mid budget mass-market, then they can still stay in the game and be profitible. You might almost think thats where the money lies...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom